Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Student Engagement

Early Childhood

Student Engagement

Author Post
Sydney Graft Sydney Graft 345 Points

Hey everyone! I remeber in elementary school my science teachers would get us engaged by doing a small science experiemnt before going into the lesson. Since we are now doing school virtually since the pandemenic does anyone have tips on how to get your elementary students engaged before a lesson? 

Kristin Preast Kristin Preast 1670 Points

I would try to find a song or engaging video on the topic. If there isn't one then I would find an interactive stimulation experiment online.

Keyla Mateo Keyla Mateo 1425 Points

Hi Sydney!

During this time I agree that it is very difficult to get the students engaged druing a lesson through a computer, but not impossible! At first it was a trial and error experiment to see what the student's would pay attention to and what seemed to take them off track,especially with young children. With time and from observation I have seen that being ethusiastic and coming up with at home projects to do with the kids has worked very well. The students want to see something new and exciting at such a young age. They seem to get off track if they already know what to expect or we as teachers just talk and talk. If the tecaher is excited so will be the students. For example if the lesson is about stars engage them by asking questions or drawing a star. Have them tell you what they know or think about stars, giving them a chance to participate voluntarily. These are some ways I have grabed their attention and have the studdents engage into the lesson. I hope this helps!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers