Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Science experiments for kindergarten class

Early Childhood

Science experiments for kindergarten class

Author Post
Alejandra Gamez Alejandra Gamez 180 Points

Hi everyone, 

What are some fun and simple science experiements that could be done in a kindergarten class? 

Juliann Brooks Juliann Brooks 1435 Points

I've done a fun experiment with food coloring, whole milk, a Q-tip and dish soap. You put whole milk (has to be whole) in a dish with sides (I used paper plates that had a higher edge) and put drops of different food coloring in different places in the milk (not the middle or very edge). Then you put have the students dip their q-tip in the soap and then put it in the middle of the milk. Do not let them stir. The colors will react to the soap.

I tied it to the observation TEKS (standards for Texas) and had them make predictions before, had them talk about what was happening and why, and then draw a picture of what the milk looked like after you put the q-tip of soap in it.

Alexandra Castro Alexandra Castro 1300 Points

Hello Alejandra,

Pinterest has many ideas for Science experiments. Many include materials such as shaving cream, glue, food coloring, etc. It would be a great resource to use.

Susana Castillo Susana Castillo 1525 Points

There are so many fun and simple science experiements that could be done in a kindergarten class. I think the Magic Milk experienment is a really fun one to do with the class. 

Magic Milk

1. pour some milk into a bowl (make sure it's either Whole or 2% milk) 

2. add a variety drops of food coloring on the milk 

3. have a small bowl with dish soap

4. use a Q-tip and dip it in the dish soap

5. have the Q-tip touch the milk

See as the colors are dancing all over the surface of the milk. I remember doing this when I was young. 

Amanda Cruz Amanda Cruz 620 Points

Hi there Alejandra, my name is Amanda and I had a suggestion for a science experiment that could be done with a kindergarten class. I'm not sure if you've seen or heard of the Germs Activity. It teaches little ones about the importance of handwashing and helps them practice their fine motor skills.

What you do is:

• Fill one bowl with a thin layer of soap and fill a second bowl with water and sprinkle pepper across the surface of the water.
  • You will need to explain that the pepper represents the germs.
  • Have a student dip their finger in the bowl filled with 'germs' and notice the pepper sticks to their fingertip.
  • Now have the student dip their finger with the pepper into the bowl with soap.
  • Then they will dip their finger back into the 'germs' bowl and watch the pepper magically move away from the soapy finger!

Materials needed for this experiment are:

• 2 small bowls
  • Water
  • Pepper
  • Dish soap

I hope this helps you!

Anne Lowry Anne Lowry 8543 Points

Does your state follow NGSS?  If so, you can look at the K  https://www.nextgenscience.org/sites/default/files/K%20combined%20DCI%20standardsf.pdf

That would give you areas for considering ideas.  Also, observe your students.  What are their interests?  Is there commonality with the interests?  You can then take that information to the learning center    https://learningcenter.nsta.org/search/      and look for ideas which would be both meaningful to your students as well as give them additional experience with the science and engineering practices

Have fun!

Anne

Ashlee Nabors Ashlee Nabors 330 Points

A fun science experiement I've come across is the one with pepper and soap. This experiement is especially useful to visually demonstrate the importance of using soap and washing your hands. You pour some water into a dish then add ground black pepper into the water. Students can place a finger into the water then note whither the pepper stuck to their finger. Afterwards, students add liquid soap (hand or dish soap) to their dry finger. They then place the soap covered finger into the dish with water and pepper and watch what happens. The teacher can explain what happened and even use the pepper in the dish to represent germs and how soap 'repels' them. 

Katelyn Hansen Katelyn Hansen 1330 Points

Science experiments for kindergarteners:

• Tornado in a bottle (1 liter of empty soda bottle, water, food coloring, beads, glitter)
  • Density practice (Pouring oils, water, other liquids)

I am sure there are a lot of fun ones you can find on the internet! I want to share that you can always use shaving cream in your classroom for science vocab!

Aida Nichols Aida Nichols 1250 Points

I have done erupting volcano pumpkins very easy, vinegar, dawn dish soap, baking soda, food coloring, and the small pumpkins. You remove the inside of the pumpkins. Sink or float, magnetic or not magnetic, rainbow density jar. etc. Lots of fun hands-on stuff. I found all the information online! Science is so much fun with the little ones! 

Anne Lowry Anne Lowry 8543 Points

Do you incorporate thse activities into what your class is investgating?  I could see this tying in with composting pumpkins in November, with questions such as can we make one compost faster?  Does the pumpkin in smaller pieces help it decompose more quickly?  Does it work the same for non-'hard shell' items  (though that could get tricky to test with the food insecurity prohibitions of using foods)

When you do these, do you have the students figure out the process and be very hands on?  That's where I have the most fun!

Take care

Anne

Amanda Shipman Amanda Shipman 455 Points

This year I believe a germ activity is really important. There are multiple activites you could do. There is the bread activity. Students touch the bread before cleaning their hands. Even thouth their hands are clean the bread still shows signs of germs that they could not see. The next activity is the germ water activity. Place pepper at the top of water. If they stick a finger in the pepper sticks to their hand. They then try it with soap. The pepper does not stick. 

Have fun!

Amanda 

Bailee Baumann Bailee Baumann 555 Points

Juliann Brooks I love the idea you had about the food coloring and milk! i like how you tied it into the observe and predict stantards. I was wondering if you tied it into any science standards at all? Could this be modified at all for learners with special needs? 

Thanks for this great idea and I would love to use this in a Pre-k or Kindergarten classroom! 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers