Forums

Forums / STEM / Stem Assessments

STEM

Stem Assessments

Author Post
Karina Erazo Karina Erazo 945 Points

Hi everyone, I am a preservice teacher creating a unit on air pressure. I am having trouble figuring out how to incorporate assesments into my lesson on stem. How do we get ready for assessment in STEM? do they have to be formal or can they be informal? is there a specific type of rubric we must create ? 

Jack Bevans Jack Bevans 660 Points

Hey Karina, I am a third year student also from Wartburg College. I think you've chosen a very intersting topic here. Assessments are definitely very important to try to incorporate into you lessons as they help you gain a knowledge base for your students and help you understand what may need to be retaught or what they have a solid grasp on. Formative/informal assessments are probably the easier way to go here, as they can be in the form of bellwork, exit tickets, low-stakes group work, or discussion questions. If these air pressure lessons are part of a unit, it may also be helpful to add in a formal/summative assessment at the end, which would look like a final project or a sitdown test/exam. I wish you the best of luck!

Christina Branaman Christina Branaman 1120 Points

Hi Karina! That sounds like a very interesting topic! Your assessment will depend on the type of lesson you're doing. I'm sure you're aware of exit tickets as a formal assessment, but it's important to look at what you want them to take from the lesson. Think of your objective and determine what the goal is. Once you have this, you can determine if an informal assessment (showing thumbs up) or even as formal as recreating an experiment or proof. I hope this helps! Best of luck to you.

Annie Dietz Annie Dietz 725 Points

Hello Karina, my name is Annie Dietz. I am a preservice teacher at Wartburg College, studying to become a high school Biology teacher. When it comes to assessments it’s a good idea to have both summative and formative assessments for students. One activity that I learned in my class is to assess through whiteboards, which is a great formative assessment. Have a question on the board with answers a-d. Students write their answers on the whiteboard and hold them up. This gives you an idea of how students are doing. When it comes to summative assessments it's harder to come up with different forms of assessments. A couple of examples could be tests, quizzes, labs, projects, presentations, etc. When it comes to rubrics, I personally am a fan of single-point rubrics. 

Bailey Myers Bailey Myers 765 Points

Hi Karina! I am a pre-service teacher at Wartburg College. I've worked with several different classrooms within my 3.5 years in school. I would agree with Annie, it is a good idea to have both summative and formative, but I will say formative assessments is what you will see more frequently since it should be used several times within your lesson. Simply checking in with students and seeing their understanding can be a formative assessment. Annie and I are also in the same class and we have learned that single-point rubrics are very helpful and easier to follow. I do think it is necessary to include your rubric so the students know exactly what they will be graded on and how they can get the points that they get. 

Hope this helps! 

Bailey Myers 
Wartburg College '23

Summer Hall Summer Hall 190 Points

Karina, I think Jack makes a great point! For the individual lessons, it would be best to take a formative assessment and correlate them with your content. At the end of the unit, sum it all up with a summative assessment. Good luck!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers