Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / The Sound of One Hand Clapping

General Science and Teaching

The Sound of One Hand Clapping

This topic discusses these resources

Science 102: The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Science 102: The Sound of One Hand Clapping

This column shares exercises to challenge content knowledge. This month's issue presents a new challenge and answers the Raindrops Keep Falling challenge from last month.

Author Post
Lillian Muller Lillian Muller 2255 Points

The beginnging part of this article has little to do with sound, it actually discusses rain and whether or not running through the rain would end in you being less wet. I actually have had this argument many times, with many people, so I found this quite interesting and got my answer to the question! In terms of the second aspect of the article that talked about sound, this was interesting as well. I went and tried the activity with my roomates and the result was fairly accurate; it was harder for them to recall the words I said when I clapped after. I found this really interesting because it shows us how sound affects our daily life and train of thought. A question that I do have is how music may affect students during independent work time or even group work? Personally, I have never had an issue with listening to music while working, however, in younger children I think that this could pose a significant issue; considering their brains are developing at a much higher rate. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers