Forums

Forums / Chemistry / Inquiry for an Integrated Chemistry/Physics Class

Chemistry

Inquiry for an Integrated Chemistry/Physics Class

Author Post
Daniel Brown Daniel Brown 1345 Points

I teach an integrated chemistry and physics (ICP) class. My students learn best via hands-on projects and research-driven labs. Does anyone have any ideas for inquiry-based lessons or units for either chemistry or physics or both? I have scoured many different websites and have only came up with a handful of worthwhile ones. Thanks! Dan Brown Shelbyville High School, Indiana

Sarah Hawley Sarah Hawley 10 Points

Dan, My Name is Sarah Hawley.  I teach the same subject in Richmond. Have you had much success in your use of IBL?  Would you be willing to collaborate?

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Hi Dan,
Have you seen the article, ' Inquiry in the Chemistry Classroom '? It includes 23 different inquiry chemistry lab ideas and one detailed example.

Garrett Arakawa Garrett Arakawa 600 Points

One unit that I always wanted to do but never got around to creating was a unit on chemical airbags simulating the egg drop experiment....I would set up a ramp going down a flight of stairs with something at the end to simulate a car crash. I would tie an egg to the car and roll it down. the students would be tasked with saving the egg by starting a chemical reaction that creates gas in a ziplock bag. Hopefully, the airbag would stop the egg from breaking. I never really tried it, but it's an idea. Students would need to learn about force and momentum etc, as well as stoichiometry, gas laws, and reaction rates. Anyway, I hope this helps.

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

Hands-On Chemistry Activities With Real-Life Applications contains over 300 intriguing investigations designed to engage students in a genuine pursuit of science. http://www.csun.edu/science/chemistry/

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers