Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Using Resources From Home for Experiments

Elementary Science

Using Resources From Home for Experiments

Author Post
Madison Foshee Madison Foshee 170 Points

I am a K-6 preservice teacher and I'm curious what are some good science experiment ideas that you can do with your elementary students where you use materials that are inexpensive or you can find from home? I want to create a classroom environment that has a lot of hands-on learning but I also know that I won't be able to buy too many expensive resources within my first few years. 

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Hi Madison,

I have been teaching science and science methods for a few decades now, and I do the majority of the teaching with inexpensive, easy-to-find materials and equipment.  One of the journal articles that stands out in my mind that you may find particulary helpful is this one: 'Science Sampler: Science on a shoestring—How to stock your shelves with free and inexpensive science materials' (2007). the URL to access it in the learning center is:     https://common.nsta.org/resource/?id=10.2505/4/ss07_030_06_55

Also, you can do an advanced search ( https://learningcenter.nsta.org/search/ ) and put in 'inexpensive' in the search window to see hundreds of resource ideas.  

Personally, I have found having wax paper, baking soda, vinegar, balloons, sand, gravel, lemon juice, cornstarch, paper and plastic cups and plates, plastic spoons, and measuring cups can get me through a majority of my hands-on inquiries.

It will be fun to hear from others about what inexpensive 'staples' they always have on hand in their science classrooms.

What I like to spend my money on (when I have a little extra) is the awesome NSTA Press books).  I have two of the Picture Perfect Books by Emily Morgan and Karen Ansberry, and I have 3 or 4 of the Paige Keeley Probe books.  I have copies of all of Bill Robertson's 'Stop Faking It' books.  I have a couple of the Science Mysteries books by Richard Konicek-Moran, etc.  All of these (and the myriad of others in the NSTA book store) often use easy to find, inexpensive materials.  As a preservice teacher, as your science methods instructor for the titles of his/her favorite 'go-to' science books for other ideas.  Of course every single month a new NSTA science journal comes out with gobs of lesson plans on every conceivable science concept, and the lesson plans almost always contain inexpensive and easily obtainalbe materials.  Good luck!

Sincerely,

Carolyn Mohr,

Senior Online Advisor and Adjunct Science Methods Professor

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers