Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Earth and Science

Elementary Science

Earth and Science

Author Post
Eva Alvarado Eva Alvarado 345 Points

What are the best STEM activities and books to use in Earth and Science for elementary students?

Kia Shields Kia Shields 3432 Points

Hi! Here is a great website for STEM activities: https://littlebinsforlittlehands.com/science-experiments-and-activities/ There are also some Christmas themed activities!

JR Quilos JR Quilos 130 Points

Hey Eva! I actually had just experienced creating my own "STEM in the Box" in my Science foundations course for my college program. Basically, "STEM in the Box" is a term that is basically self-explanatory. It's literally just a science activity in a box! The idea is to get students engaged in a lesson through an activity that aligns with an NGSS standard. In this case, I would create a STEM in the box activity for Earth and Science for elementary students! I would start off with looking for a specific standard that you would want to teach. Here's an example: 4-ESS2-2 Earth's Systems [color=#333333][size=2][font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Analyze and interpret data from maps to describe patterns of Earth’s features. With this standard, I can create a box that contains different maps of the world. These different maps could have different features of the Earth such as different surface like Terrains, deserts, mountains, oceans, etc. Some physical objects, I would include would be things that the students could "feel" to get a sense of what these features look or feel like. I would also include some worksheets for students to collect data of their findings. STEM in the Box is a simple yet engaging way to make a science lesson! Hope that helps! :)[/font][/size][/color]

Kia Shields Kia Shields 3432 Points

This sounds like a great activity for students!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers