Forums

Elementary Science

Plants

Author Post
 Stephanie Coy 1720 Points

I am a first year teacher teaching 2nd grade. We are currently in our plants unit and I would like to have the students grow some plants in the classroom. My classroom has no outside light; so was wondering if anyone had suggestions on the type of plant we could grow?

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

Bean plants will go for awhile in artificial light, but then they will turn yellow and die. You might want to invest in a grow lamp to grow your plants. They are relatively inexpensive.

Stephanie Coy 1720 Points

Thank you for your suggestion

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

Hi Stephanie, Betty's idea to use a grow light is fantastic. My first classroom was an interior room without windows. I used a grow light and it worked like a charm. You can also use your windowless classroom to your advantage to help your students explore how plants grow. Is there another second grade classroom at your school that has windows? If so, maybe you can coordinate with the other teacher on a co-classroom project. Each class can plant the same type of seeds and then observe the seeds as they grow into plants. As the plants grow, the students can conduct investigations to explore the difference in the plants that grow in sunlight versus the plants that grow without sunlight. If working with another teacher is not an option, maybe you can try growing seeds in your classroom and in a garden outside. Another option is to send home a plant with your students and have them make observations about the plant at home and the plants in your classroom. Best of luck with your project. It sound like fun! Maureen

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers