Forums

Forums / Life Science / lesson's on sun and plant growth

Life Science

lesson's on sun and plant growth

Author Post
Kim Silverman Kim Silverman 470 Points

I am currently a student at Merrimack college and I have the standard 2-LS2-1. Plan and conduct an investigation to determine if plants need sunlight and water to grow. [Assessment Boundary: Assessment is limited to testing one variable at a time.

My question is has anyone covered this standard and do you have any ideas for activities mini-lessons or even phenomena. Thank you in advance

Kim Silverman

Juliana Texley Juliana Texley 1490 Points

We have a whole unit on needs of plants in JASON Early Childhood. But to be brief, avoid anything too small to see. Put one of two identical plants in the shade (just part of a box. Keep the air flow the same) and compare their growth.  Something like a bean or pea will show phototropism easily. If your state allows Elodea (aquarium plant) cut the stem, put it upside down in mild baking soda solution, and watch the bubbles when it is in sunlight. Don't forget literature. (Wong and Vardell, The Class Plant  and lots of books about seeds.) Note I have a file on early childhood gardening activities I've attached.

Attachments

Kim Silverman Kim Silverman 470 Points

Thank you so very much. This all so amazing and I am going to utilize this. The Elodea plant sounds intriguing!

Juliana Texley Juliana Texley 1490 Points

Just a note. In some states Elodea is considered an invasive plant. Just go into the pet store and ask for a sprig of a water plant. They will give you something similar. I was never even charged for a sprig. Grab a Fiji water bottle (why? Because they are flat and easier for the little guys to see through.) Fill the bottle with dilute baking soda water, and put the cut end of the plant upside down in the bottle. Near light: lots of bubbles. Farther away, fewer bubbles. Easy peasy.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers