Forums

Forums / STEM / Low-cost STEM Tool Ideas

STEM

Low-cost STEM Tool Ideas

Author Post
Kimberly Farber Kimberly Farber 4515 Points

Hi! My name is Kimberly Farber, and I am a senior at Henderson State University studying middle-level math and science education. What are some low-cost STEM tools and activities that I can incorporate in my future classroom? I know funding and resources can be an issue in schools, so I would love to hear about some of your experiences in this regard. Thank you!

A M A 660 Points

Hi Kimberly!
I am currently in a science methods course and am a junior in college, but we have discussed this same topic. I think one of the best ways would be to invite STEM workers into your classroom. Students can learn about their experiences and get to know people in their community. Also, helping students’ problem solve and think in a different way. This may mean not giving an example when asking students to create a boat or a paper airplane but focusing on what needs to be figured out. It can be as simple as stacking candy corn or using paper to build a boat. This is all knowledge I have learned in field experience and class; however, I am also interested to hear from current teachers about other tools and activities. 
Thank you and best of luck in the field! 
Ann Meirick

Chloe Zierke Chloe Zierke 735 Points

Hello Kimberly, 

STEAM does not have to be an expensive experience. STEAM can be done with basic household tools. For example, building towers with toothpicks and marshmallows is a great STEAM activity that allows students to problem solve and explore architecture. A lot of times you can even go about getting these resources for free. You can do this by getting involved in your community and asking around for the products you need. For example, if you are in need of PVC pipes, by talking to your local plumber or construction site. Many community members love to donate to the schools. You can also ask parents. Sending home a letter explaining the why and what you need can be an effective way to get your hands on the materials you need. Parents are usually pretty generous and want to help fund their student's education. When asking for these supplies from parents, do not require each kid to bring some as we do not know their home life situation. Ask for a donation of however many you need and see what you end up with. Some parents may provide some while others provide none and that is perfectly okay. 

I hope this helps, 

Chloe Zierke

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers