Forums

Forums / New Teachers / New Student Teacher

New Teachers

New Student Teacher

Author Post
Cameron Willmon Cameron Willmon 1925 Points

I am about to go into student teaching and am looking for ideas on classroom management such as redirecting when students start to get out of hand, and positive disiplining methods when bad behavior occurs.

Thanks!

Derrick Lietz Derrick Lietz 438 Points

Hi Cameron,

I am in an education program as well, but I work as a behavior interventionist for kids currently. I think one of the best ways to manage classroom behaviors is to lay out your expectations and rules from the first day. You could even have students create their own rules so they feel like they had a part in creating the classroom community. After the expectations are set, it will be important to always follow through with your rules. If there isn't follow through, then the students will feel like they can really do anything. From then on, elementary-aged students thrive on recognition and attention. I believe using a positive reinforcement method is the best way to see results that will last. It will take some time and patience, but I think it is definitely worth to try. Again, I haven't had an opportunity to try this myself, but I have seen many positive changes in individual students' behavior by utilizing this method!

Good luck!

- Derrick

Gabe Kraljevic Gabe Kraljevic 4564 Points

Hello Cameron,

I think the first thing you should do is observe your cooperating teacher and watch specifically for their classroom management techniques.  Talk to him/her after class about some of the decisions they made in handling students.  You are in a tough situation, coming in as a stranger to this group who have been together since September.  The teacher has information about the students that you don't have, so it is good to have that conversation, even if the teacher can't give you details they might be able to steer you in how you deal with some students.  Also, every class environment is different - so I find it difficult to give you specific, hard and fast methods. Perhaps, 'idleness is the devil's workshop' may be an adage to follow.  Busy, active students have less time consider mischief.

There are some general things you can adhere to in order to set a good environment in your class.  Setting expectations as a group, like Derrick mentioned, is a great way to have everyone on board.  Plus, include yourself as a follower of these rules.  If the students see that you are also bound by 'rules' then they have no excuse to break them.  Positive statements like 'What we do in  this class' is probably more effective that listing 'What we don't do.'  One of the best sets of rules I have ever developed with a class came down to:  Respect the room.  Respect the people in the room.  Respect yourself.  

Regardless of what system you use you must be consistent and fair in its use.  This means never letting an incident slide by or forgive one student over another.  Once the students know that you will follow through with what you say then they know you mean business.  Nothing undermines your management of a class if the students feel that you are fickle or play favourites.  Along the same lines, do not have a consequence that is impossible to enforce.  For instance, you have very little control to kick a student out of your class so don't make that a consequence.  

I wish you the best of luck as you enter the profession - and hope that you have many enjoyable years ahead of you!

Hope this helps,

Gabe

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers