Forums

Forums / Chemistry / Chemistry

Chemistry

Chemistry

Author Post
Tempia Fitchette Tempia Fitchette 775 Points

chemistry has always interested me. What are some good projects to have elementary students do?

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

I'm not sure what grade level in elementary you are working with. When I teach states of matter, I like to ask can matter change its state? How do we know if it is a chemical or physical change? I bring in sets of balloons that all look the same size. Each group gets a set of 3 and they have to decide which state it is in and as much information as they can gather about the balloons in about 3 minutes. One balloon is filled with air, one with water, and one with ice. I freeze a water filled balloon the night before and keep them in an ice chest. We discuss the properties of each state. What would have to happen in order for the solid balloon to change its state, the liquid to change its state? Then on another day we discuss the difference between physical and chemical changes. We put 1 tbsp of vinegar in an empty water bottle. put 1 tspn of baking soda in a balloon and carefully place the mouth of the balloon over the bottle without spilling the contents. Then we make a prediction about what will happen when the two mix. Most 3rd - 5th graders know what will happen. We then count down to drop in the baking soda and record what evidence we have observed to determine which type of reaction we are seeing.

Christine Gadbois Christine Gadbois 660 Points

I think a fun chemistry experiment for elementary school children is the ice-cream in a bag experiment. I have included a link to this experiment if you would like to look into trying it with your students! This can be done with a range of ages, but the older they get the more hands on it can become. Please let me know if you end up using this experiment, I would love to hear how it went. http://www.morethanaworksheet.com/2015/12/13/ice-cream-in-a-bag/

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers