Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Science in Early Levels

Early Childhood

Science in Early Levels

Author Post
Macie Duran Macie Duran 70 Points

As a new teacher, what are some effective ways to grasp the students attention the topic of science in early grade levels and have the students engaged while having fun?

Cassidy Staudt Cassidy Staudt 1011 Points

Hi Macie, I am studying elementary education at Wartburg College. In my classes we have discussed the most effective way to keep students engaged in science is through hands-on activities. When students are doing an activity themselves they have less time to get distracted and become disruptive. In science, hands-on activities can include planting seeds, conducting experiments, or even doing a craft. I taught a lesson about habitats to a preschool small group in one of my field experiences, to make the lesson hands-on I had sensory bins to represent each habitat we were talking about. The students loved it and were engaged the whole lesson. However, when conducting these hands-on activities it is important to give students explicit instruction before the activity even begins. 

-Cassidy Staudt

Wartburg College

Kristin Preast Kristin Preast 1670 Points

I would try to find fun videos that are songs to help them learn. Also if you can make a dance of something to help correlate with what they are working on.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers