Forums

Forums / Life Science / Parts of a Plant Activities (Elementary Level)

Life Science

Parts of a Plant Activities (Elementary Level)

Author Post
Erica Hernandez Erica Hernandez 90 Points

Hello everyone!

What are some Parts of a Plant activities I can do with elementary grade students?

Thank you!!

Noemy Cortes Noemy Cortes 170 Points

Hello Erica,

I think some fun and educational activities that a teacher can do with her elementary students is to label the parts of a plant. You can choose to unscramble, cut and paste, match, fill in the blank, etc. I think it is important to find creative activities that also include hands-on and this way keep the student's interest high. You can also choose to use 3D objects to represent the different parts of a plant (stem, leaf, root, seed). Some material that you can use for this is yarn, straws, real seeds, and cardboard or construction paper to make leaves. I think doing this will be fun and help the students learn the different parts of plants. Hope this was helpful! 

Do you guys think that it would be beneficial to have a live plant in the classroom? (: 

Kaely Perez Kaely Perez 380 Points

Hello! There are various ways to show elementary students the parts of a plant. One way you can show your students is by physically showing a stem, roots, leaves, and the actual plants. Although, I would recommend using a plant that was either slowly dying or doesn't mind cutting it to show each part to your students. Another way is printing a handout where the students would need to label each part of the plant. One last method would be to have the students build each part by using playdough as it could be a hands-on experiment.

Genesis Torres Genesis Torres 220 Points

Hello Erica!
I believe a great hands-on experience that you can implement with the students is to collect real flowers and then move to the classroom where together as a class will carefully 'dissect' the flower and name each part. By doing this, students are able to see it in real-life and soon will be able to know the parts of a plant further in life. When done with the dissection, you can either ask students to glue those parts to their scientific journal with the labels or simply toss it out, preferably let them save it in their science journals to keep it for future reference. 

Sylvia Esparza Sylvia Esparza 75 Points

Hi!

What are some good tips for classroom management while doing an experiment with Kinder students?

Emily Cooper Emily Cooper 563 Points

Sylvia, 

I think it is important to set expectations with your students beforehand. Let the students know what you expect to happen during the lesson behavior wise. Ive seen teachers using doorbell's in their classrooms as attention getters; I think that is neat. Have call backs that the students are familar with and will respond to when you want to get their attention. With Kinder, it is going to be loud and messy, but the students are learning and having fun at the same time. 

Karen Godina Karen Godina 200 Points

Look for a black and white worksheet with a plant and have them color and label the parts of plant. It promotes creativity and retention when they connect the colors to the parts of the plant.

Mary Lynn Hess Mary Hess 12158 Points

Give students the experience of  growing plants from seeds. There are many literature books like The Carrot Seed and Tops and Bottoms to get your students excited. Also, check out your state's Agriculture in the Classroom or national Agriculture in the Classroom matrix for loads of ideas.

Get the kids outdoors to discover plants! Fresh air, appreciation of nature, and plants galore can be a wonderful learning experience.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers