Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Hands on activities

Early Childhood

Hands on activities

Author Post
Karen Gutierrez Karen Gutierrez 150 Points

Hi there,  I am looking for activities that help children learn science in a fun way but at the same time interacting with each other. I would like to have students doing theyre best by doing hands on in a way their learning from that.

Thank you for your time.

Amanda Leal Amanda Leal 505 Points

Hi Karen, I agree with you in hands on activities. It is very important to engage students with fun activities especially because science supposed to be a fun subject. I believe using or including cooking activities will be fun and interested. For example, you can make lemonade and trail mixes to teach mixtures and solutions. This also helps with interaction because students will be able to work as a group. 

Rachel Lewis Rachel Lewis 550 Points

Hello,

In my second grade class, the students were learning about birds and their habitats. As birds do not have arms they have to use their beaks to pick everything up like grass, seeds, anything honeslty. In my class, we had stations with different objects to act like a bird and only use clothes pin to pick up items. Some of the items were beads with a clothes pin, an eye dropper with water, using a clothes pin to pick up sticks, a tweezers to pick up grass. Students  checked off which items worked best for them and then explained why. This was a really fun and hands on activity because the students are relating to what birds have to do everyday only using their beak. 

Amanda Leal Amanda Leal 505 Points

I would like to know what type of accomodations can we make for our students who have learning disabilities on building interaction skills? 

Nikita Hatley Nikita Hatley 4210 Points

Hi my name is Nikita Hatley and I attend Henderson State University and  I'm also an Elementary Education major. I have a question about hands on activities and what subject is best to teach while preparing your students for hands-on activities.

Vinsensia Wunga Vinsensia Wunga 2056 Points

Hi there,

Hands-on activity is one of the most important elements which an educators could do to encourage the students to learn.

Recently, I am doing my 100 hours Clinical Practice in a kindergarten class. I see students are more engage when we provide hands-on activity in our lessons. The students love to explore the new things and when we allow them to explore it using the hands-on activity the student mostly enjoy the lessons we present.

I am amazed to see how student participate in the lesson provided. I think, as educators we need to always encourage students to involve in all the hands-on activity in a school.

Brittany Bottles Brittany Bottles 320 Points

Hi Karen! It makes me so happy to see fellow educators searching out ways to incorporate hands-on learning in their classrooms. If this is a topic you are truly interested in I encourage you to read through the lesson plans on the NSTA website. All of the lessons incorporate the 3D/5E learning model. I was new to this type of teaching this semester and was pushed by my professor to use this structure as we created lesson plans. It was a challenge at first, but I enjoyed teaching my lessons so much more and my students enjoyed the lessons better with this model. The lessons on this website helped guide me to take on this new way of teaching and I hope it helps you too. Remember, not to overthink it and use all the resources that are available to you! 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers