Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / Teaching students to observe using all of their senses

General Science and Teaching

Teaching students to observe using all of their senses

Author Post
Sean Blackwell Sean Blackwell 290 Points

This project will be a wonderful way to connect the students to the content because, as the article states, science learning is sometimes removed from the outside of the classroom and it's can be hard for the students to relate to the materials. Bringing something like this project into the lesson will help students observe exactly what we are teaching. This experiment will allow the students to own their learning by using all senses to observe the growth of the plant. Fennel, being a very fragrant plant, will allow them to not only see the changes the plant is going through but also smell and taste it as well. This is a fantastic way to make the lesson come alive for my students.

Michelle Phillips Michelle Phillips 5950 Points

Hi Sean, 

I would love to learn more about the project - can you share the link to it?

Thanks

Blake Alexander Blake Alexander 520 Points

Hi Sean !

Teaching students to us all their senses in experiment is very important. Using the senses will help with observing every aspect of an experiment. Students will be able to focus on what they should be getting from the experiment which is new knowledge.

Ryan Dalton Ryan Dalton 310 Points

Hello! my name is Ryan Dalton and I'm a preservice biology teacher at Wartburg College and my senior research project is very similar. My project looks at the effects of biophilia and how it can affect students' academic achievement, intrinsic motivation, and, long-term concept retention. I really like the idea of activating the senses in order to deepen a student's connection with science and I would have never thought to use a fragrant plant, I'm interested to hear more!

Emillee Medina Emillee Medina 690 Points

Hello, this project is a great lesson for students and I am interested in looking more into it. I agree that is important to utilize multiple of the students senses when doing a science project and would love to try it. if there is any chance can you send the link or attach it?

Andrea Myers Andrea Myers 3675 Points

Agreed.

Agreed.

Agreed.

Agreed.

Agreed.

Agreed.

Agreed.

Rachel Schermerhorn Rachel Schermerhorn 275 Points

I don't know what grade you teach, but I think this is super important to teach students when they are in the younger grades. When students get into the older grades they tend to rely on just one sense because it is the easiest to tap into. When we teach younger students to tap into all senses when observing that allows them to carry that skill into the older grades when it becomes most important. 

Anna Brooks Peter Parker 10 Points

It sounds interesting. I'd like to have more details about this project

Carolina Balderas Carolina Balderas 430 Points

After reading your idea I think using an interactive activity with the students is fun. This will hep them remember and enjoy learning about their senses.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers