Forums

Forums / Distance Learning / Distance Learning

Distance Learning

Distance Learning

Author Post
Ana Iracheta Ana Iracheta 405 Points

Do you believe students are learning effectively within a virtual learning environment? How are science classes primarly affected?

Mabel Carter Mabel Carter 745 Points

I feel that it depends highly on the environment the students are in and the skillset of the teacher to effectively put out learning materials that are accessible in an online learning environment. Unfortunately, these circumstances vary highly across the nation and do not provide an equitable opportunity for an impactful education. Because science classes are hands-on, virtual instruction in these courses can be very tricky. 

Luisa Quintero Luisa Quintero 520 Points

In my prespective, distant learning is not an effective way for the students to learn. They get really distracted and being home is not the environment to be active onlearning, being on a screen most of the day. It affecs mostly sicence class because the students are not given the opportunity to experience any kind of activity of experiement. 

LeAnne Henry LeAnne Henry 835 Points

Distance learning is a difficult subject. Personally my daughter did really well with distant learning.  She liked the different schedule and she did really well with focussing for 4-5 hours and then being done.  Now I understand not every student has the same oppourtunites.  From what I've seen with distant learning and the students that are challenged are the same students who dont participate in the normal classroom or even try to do their work.   Now I agree that it may not be the same for everyone.  Students that I have seen that have been on zoom or watched recording did the work and focussed they have done very well.  I feel it is their attitude and their want that determines how well they succeed.  We have already made so many excuses for our students and this just gives them another one.  Focus is hard, drive is difficult and completing anything is tough.  I think if the teacher wants to get it done and so does the student if will be successful but they both have to work together.  Distant learning is not great and I hope it is not around forever but it has also given many families new oppourtunites.  Especially for families that like to travel or have a parent that travels.    

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers