Forums

Forums / Life Science / AP Biology Resources

Life Science

AP Biology Resources

Author Post
Osamu Ono Osamu Ono 220 Points

Hi Everybody. I'm currently teaching Biology and AP Biology. This is my first year teaching it, and I've been trying to look for resources that are appropriate for this level. So far, I've been getting resources from Pearson for things as pop-quiz, powerpoints, testbanks, and reading guides. Most of my lessons so far have been either doing labs or having students organize the chapter in the way that benefits them (and they have to present it). I also used the www.biologycorner.com website to use some of their resources. However, this site has more of the basic generalized resources and at times doesn't fit the curriculum for AP. I've also obtained some materials from the AP certification training during the summer, and haven't used them all yet. So I was wondering if anyone knows of places where I can go to get ideas about building a much more active hands-on and minds-on AP Biology curriculum (such as having small labs, lesson activities, projects that might be appropriate, etc). If you know of any, please reply here. Thank you in advance! Osamu

Pamela Close Pamela Close 2610 Points

Be sure to sign up for the AP Biology teacher community on the College Board's website. Once you submit your AP course audit to the College board, your professional login will direct you to many resources and shared materials among fellow AP Biology teachers. Be prepared to be pleasantly overwhelmed with ideas, inspiration and supporting peers.

Whitney Aragaki Whitney Aragaki 2490 Points

Hi Osamu, Great to hear that you are teaching AP Biology this year. As a part of APIP through HIDOE, please make sure that you are using all of the materials from the National Math and Science Initiative! With all of the changes to AP Biology this year (the test is so different!), it is important that you are able to network with other teachers in the state. If you check the APIP website, you can also connect to other AP Biology teachers in the state and they can share their banks with you too!

Joanna Kobayashi Joanna Kobayashi 490 Points

I used to teach Biology and miss it terribly! I've never taught AP before but I recently heard this story Golden Rice and people's views on biotechnology and GMOs. It's a short clip but a good introduction to bioethics & the debate on GMOs. Enjoy! http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/03/07/173611461/in-a-grain-of-golden-rice-a-world-of-controversy-over-gmo-foods

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

I really like the website action bioscience They have just put together resources on stem cells http://www.actionbioscience.org/biotechnology/stem_cells_for_cell-based_therapies_article_update.html One another page are resources on Genes and Civil Liberties http://www.actionbioscience.org/biotechnology/genes_and_civil_liberties.html

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers