Forums

General Science and Teaching

Variables

Author Post
Monica Holloway Monica Holloway 2990 Points

Hi, Do any of you have suggestions on activities for teaching independent and dependent variables prior to doing a lab? Thanks!

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Hi Monica,
One of my favorites is the paper helicopter activity. You can download the pattern by googling it. I provide my students with a pattern to cut out; then I have them decide on an independent and dependent variable that they want to investigate. I provide any other materials that they may ask for in order to carry out their experiments(like stop watches if they want to use time - as the dependent variable and meter sticks if want to use height that the object is dropped at - as the independent variable). By leaving the investigation open-ended, I find that many different ideas are chosen by different groups of 2 or 3 students. For example one group might use the above mentioned variables, and another group might decide to add weight (using paper clips) to their helicopters to determine how that affects the speed at which they drop.
Also, there are a few discussion threads on this topic with lots of great ideas shared previously. One thread can be found here: General Science and Teaching> Scientific Method
To find other discussion threads on this topic you can do a search at the top of this discussion thread. If you locate the RED 'Search COMMUNITY/PEOPLE' tab, type in variable, and click on the SEARCH tab, all of the discussion threads on this topic will appear for you to peruse. What are others' favorite ways to teach variables?
Carolyn

Thank you!!! I will check those resources out!!

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

Monica, I use the following to help the students remember the difference. An independent variable is something "I" control or decide what to do with it. A dependent variable "depends" on what happens in the experiment.

This is a great way to remember!!! Thank you!!

Monica, You can have them relate this to school. If you wanted to improve your grades (the dependent variable because your grade depends on what your do) what are all the things you can do, the inputs or independent variables you can alter such as studying, doing your homework, etc.? You can have the same discussion about sports or learning to drive depending on the age of your group. Then, I would make whatever you do relevant to your content area so they learn to apply these terms in context.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers