Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Incorporating more science activities in the classroom

Early Childhood

Incorporating more science activities in the classroom

Author Post
Helen Hall Helen Hall 220 Points

I would like to get a few suggestions about how to incorporate more science activities in my preschool classroom. I teach 4-5 year olds. They just started in my classroom, and all vary in development levels. What are some activities you have included in your classroom or suggest? I would like for them to vary in high level and low level learning skills. Thanks!

Sarah Benton Feitlinger Sarah Benton 1775 Points

Hi Helen, With this age group and a wide variety of developmental needs you might consider setting up a science table or station in your classroom. Introduce some of the materials during circle time and then put out materials that they can explore at their own speed. For example, magnifying glasses, various leaves, acorns, twigs and rocks. Or seashells, sponges and other ocean related items. Or magnetic wands and various items to test for magnetism. You could also set up a demonstration that they can observe throughout the school day. Blowing up a balloon with yeast for example. Or get a butterfly kit and watch the changes from caterpillar to butterfly. Here are some links that you might find helpful: https://www.pinterest.com/skystar12/science-table-ideas/ http://www.childcarelounge.com/environments/science-area.php You might also want to find the following books for help with this: Science is Simple: Over 250 Activities for Preschoolers by Peggy Ashbrook (My guess is that if she sees this thread, she will have some awesome tips for you!) Science Play: Beginning Discoveries for 2 to 6 Year Olds by Jill Frankel Hauser Remember- many of the things very young children are doing when they play are already developing an understanding of science concepts, they are discovering the world around them!! Good luck!

Navil Lopez Navil Lopez 810 Points

Thanks for sharing!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers