Forums

Forums / Earth and Space Science / New Children's Space Book - Through the Milky Way on a PB&J

Earth and Space Science

New Children's Space Book - Through the Milky Way on a PB&J

Author Post
Tammy Ramirez Tammy Ramirez 140 Points

Hi Everyone,

As a mom who teaches kids at home I am always looking for ways to make science as fun as possible and I ran across Through the Milky Way on a PB&J and thought it was so fun and the illustrations were amazing space illustrations that I had better share it.

I downloaded it for free on Kindle and it looked ok on our old kindle, but on the Kindle Fire it looked great.

Brittney Just Brittney Just 743 Points

I can't wait to use this book in my future classroom.   Looks like a fun and educational read for the students.  Thanks for sharing!

Rose Andrews Rose Andrews 3290 Points

What a fun title!

Lindsey Gueltig Lindsey Gueltig 220 Points

What a fun book! thank you for sharing! can't wait to share with my students!!

Mariam Ahmed Mariam Ahmed 1545 Points

This looks like a great book! Even though I'm not a teacher yet (and I don't have any kids at home), I still love looking through children's science books (or any children's educational books for that matter); especially ones with great illustrations. Thanks for sharing.

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

Tammy, It looks like a cute book. Do you know if it is available anywhere else besides the Kindle? Thanks.

It's on paperback at Amazon too, but that's the only place I've seen it. I try to keep track of good free kindle books.

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

Thank you for the information. I will look it up.

Micki Bowman Micki Bowman 1020 Points

That looks super cute! Does it have a lot of good science information? As a future educator I am always on the lookout for fun stories that will help the children learn! When it is fun, the children learn better. I am hesitant on some books like that one giving false information and information that is not meaningful, how does this one do?

Micki Bowman Micki Bowman 1020 Points

That looks super cute! Does it have a lot of good science information? As a future educator I am always on the lookout for fun stories that will help the children learn! When it is fun, the children learn better. I am hesitant on some books like that one giving false information and information that is not meaningful, how does this one do?

Here's one of the verses: And then the ringed planet came, And Sami sang with much joy. "It's Saturn my brother! Like your plastiky toy." "I do like this planet," Thomas said with a smile "It's nine times the Earth's size, And the rings go on for miles." I think for the most part it stays tries to stay true to facts, but I ended up actually learning a couple new things as well. Overall I felt it a nice blend of educational tidbits and a fun story.

Kristen Girch Kristen Girch 2895 Points

I was immediately interested in this book because of the illustrations, and I'm sure it would catch the attention of a child as well. It made me remember a journal article I read just the other day which addressed many book illustrations directed toward a younger age group may mislead their understanding of proportions of the solar system. This book may seem to prove the authors' point. Here is the article if you'd like to take a look, http://learningcenter.nsta.org/files/PB193X2-24.pdf. It was just a connection I was curious to see how others viewed the statement.

I think what took me back most about that article was the idea that some kids have never seen stars. Wow! It was also interesting to understand at what ages does the average child begin to further understand the magnitude of space.

Karyn Moran Karyn Moran 3600 Points

This looks like a very interesting book for children learning about the solar system. I have two boys I think might really enjoy the book. Thanks for sharing.

Karyn Moran Karyn Moran 3600 Points

This looks like a very interesting book for children learning about the solar system. I have two boys I think might really enjoy the book. Thanks for sharing.

Evan Byrd Evan Byrd 530 Points

I will have to check out this book. The only thing I have to remember is that it needs to be scientifically accurate. Does anyone know if it is? Thanks!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers