Forums

Forums / Physical Science / Please recommend an inertia experiment.

Physical Science

Please recommend an inertia experiment.

Author Post
MJ Kwak MJ Kwak 10 Points

Hello everyone! I am a student, likes science, and I dream of becoming a physics science teacher. So I wanna do an experiment related to inertia, can you recommend it?

Micheal P Floyd Jr Micheal P Floyd Jr 55 Points

Hi, To conduct an experiment, relating to Inertia, you could basically look to yourself. Inertia is as-simple-as “An object in motion shall remain in motion until acted upon by another object, and an object at rest shall remain at rest until acted upon by another object.” To use yourself is to say you moved your body, and it shall continue to move until you stop it, and now that you’ve stopped it - it is standing still (at rest) and shall remain still until you move it. Inertia is simply the present and absence of energy. Energy, within the human body, is only absent during death. While the body lives it has energy, and each stage is identified as: The mechanical Energy, the energy of movement which results in motion, or Kinetic Energy. Yet once we are at “Rest” our motion stops, but our body has reserved energy or Potential Energy because we can still move. Potential Energy is the ability to move in the absence of movement. If you ever played 1, 2, 3 Red-light (ask your parents) you will find that stored energy, in the absence of movement is potential energy. Another way of saying that is “I have the ability to move, but right now I don’t want to get out of bed.” The total amount of mechanical energy is merely, or simply, the sum of potential energy and the kinetic energy.

Joseph Bellina Joseph Bellina 160 Points

I subscribe to the KISS principle especially when showing something that is new, and the concept of inertia is like that.

The key concept is the natural state of affairs in the world is that objects have a constant velocity unless you do something to them.  So an object at rest will remain so, and an object in motion will continue with that same motion unless it interacts with something else.

So roll a bowling ball, what happens, it keeps moving at essentially the same velocity until it hits the pins. Put a book on the table.  You can watch it for a very long time but it won't move.  Imagine you are in a car not wearing your seat belt, and someone puts on the breaks.  You feel like you have been pushed forward, but what is happening is the car is slowing down but your body continues moving and you smash into the dashboard.

Those are illustrations, but you asked for an experiment.  That depends to some extent on the grade level of the students, so I would need that information.

best,

joe

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers