Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Incorporating different subjects while teaching science

Elementary Science

Incorporating different subjects while teaching science

Author Post
Amanda Santana Amanda Santana 475 Points

Hi everyone, 

I would like to incoporate teaching other subjects while teaching science. I find that this is something many teachers love the idea of but when it comes down to actually doing it, they find difficulty. Could anyone give me some ideas or personal experiences they have had with merging different subjects especially one with science? 

Ashley Canny Ashley Canny 1480 Points

Hello,

One subject that is easy to integrate with science is math. These two subjects basically go hand in hand. As well as writing/literacy. Students can practice writing summaries of data they collect from experiments and writing expository or nonfiction stories. If you look into the standards of the different subjects for your grade level, you might be able to find standards that match or might go well together. It will go great, and students love having opportunities to apply their knowledge in different contexts. You've got this!

Emily Kramer Emily Kramer 1935 Points

Hi Amanda!

I agree that it can be very difficult to integrate other subjects into science. One thing that I really enjoy combining with science is engineering. One series of lessons that I taught with a group of second graders was about flooding. The first few lesson was about trying to figure out what they knew about floods, and getting the students engaged. The second lesson is where we brought in engineering. We posed the issue of having a house along a river that often gets flooded. We gave the students a tub with some aquarium rocks in it, and a number of other supplies, such as popsicle sticks, modeling clay, sponges, balloons, and tin foil. After explaining the idea to them, and telling them what supplies they had to use, we gave them the freedom to try to build something to protect the house. The students really enjoyed the experiment, and I think that it was a great way to bring engineering into the classroom!

Judith Boyle Judith Boyle 965 Points

Hello, Amanda,

I adore your question.

I love to introduce my students to watershed studies using our local river. It is a wonderful way to show your students how all of the sciences work together to form this beautiful system and will allow you to use many of the Crosscutting Concepts and Science and Engineering Practices with your students. Through the use of science notebooks, you are able to bring ELA and mathematics to your students. They make observations and asking questions, collect data, use graphs, make calculations, make predictions, and use technology. I have had my students write stories about being a raindrop or snowflake that becomes part of a river and describe it's journey to the Gulf of Mexico. I also bring in the local history such as gold mining and lumbering, and use of the river by the indigenous people who frequented the area. This unit becomes place-based, project-based, and problem-based. It also allows me to meet many of NGSS and Common Core expectations. I use many of the informal educators as possible including US Forest Service, and US Fish and Game personnel, and local watershed preservation and education organizations. They are always eager to help. The children become citizen scientists and look at ways to solve problems such as pollution in the river. It is truly dynamic and I admire your quest for integration. NSTA has many resources to guide you on your way! You will want to search the articles in Science and Children along with Connected Science Learning which is available digitally for both watershed studies and integration. 

Hey Amanda,

As an aspiring teacher I have definitely experienced difficulty in trying to integrate different subjects. However, I do believe that it is important to implement integration of subjects and find ways to produce interdisciplinary lessons. STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) is a good place to start when looking for ways to incorporate teaching other subjects.

Combining two or more disciplines allows you to help students see the relatedness of the conepts, tying together seeming disjointed blocks of information. An interdisciplinary approach will help your students forge connections among concepts in their knowledge base, generate more innovative and creative solutions when considering opportunities to apply their undertandings, and think more broadly about a given problem or situation.

One sample lesson that I observed integrated science and math. The students planted plants and then as it began to grow the students would meassure the length of the roots. They then collected and plotted data. They compared their plant data with one another and touched upon many different science and math standards. The lessons can have very subtle hints of integration (I've also seen some forums that give examples of STEM and literature integration you might want to check out). 

I do hope you continue to aim towards the goal of integrating subjects, it may be daunting but the effect it will have on the students and the classroom will be worth it!    

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers