Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Science Journals

New Teachers

Science Journals

Author Post
Claire Sanchez Claire Sanchez 180 Points

I am an education major at the University of Arkansas.  Once I graduate I will miss having classes to develop my skills as a teacher every day.  What are some of the best anual professional development workshops and conferences for elementary science teachers?  I look forward to attending the regional NSTA conferences.  Does anyone have any other conferences or workshops they regularly attend to develop their science pedagogy?  

Mary Bigelow Mary Bigelow 10275 Points

Hi Claire!  Continuing your professional development is an important part of teaching.

• Your school district may offer PD sessions, but in my experience in a small district, these focused on teaching strategies or district initiatives. Although many were appropriate for my teaching assignment, they did not specifically deal with science content.
  • As an elementary teacher, you'll want to access NSTA's Science and Children each month.
  • NSTA regional conferences are wonderful resources as are NSTA's webinars.
  • Be sure to check out your state affiliate for additional ideas (e.g., the Arkansas Science Teachers Association.)
  • Look at local museums, science centers, nature centers, or universities. They may have lectures, programs, teacher workshops, or online resources.

Even if the article or workshop is about a topic that's not in your curriculum or focuses on different grade level than yours, the ideas could be adapted to your situation. And any new knowledge becomes part of your background and teaching repertoire! Even if it's not required by the district you'll teach in, you may want to have your own PD plan and document your activities.

Mary B.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers