Forums

Forums / Life Science / Biology Ice brakers

Life Science

Biology Ice brakers

Author Post
Jessica White Jessica White 605 Points

As a new teacher I know that getting to know your students is very important because it gives you a direction to go in when preparing your lessons. Knowing your students can also help you understand how they learn best or what various things could affect their learning. I was wondering what were some good biology ice breakers that could help me learn my students and introduce them to the content.

Jessica White Jessica White 605 Points

Thanks Arlene. I enjoyed that chapter. I never thought about using icebreakers throughout the year. That's a great idea I'm sure the students would appreciate something fun and out of the norm. Once I try one of these I will be sure to post how it goes! :)

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Hi Jessica, There are several discrepant event demos that can be used as icebreakers as well. Are you familiar with Tik Liem's book of discrepant events? He has a whole section on life science (section 4). It can be downloaded off the internet. Just do a google search. Carolyn

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

These 10-40 minute talks were either newly created for this series (“New Lectures”) or excerpted from existing iBioSeminars (“Lectures from iBioSeminars”). The talks are aimed at a high school or undergraduate audience. The newly created talks give background and explain experiments that helped lead to important scientific discoveries.

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

The Famous Discoveries section focuses on the process of science, and shows the human side of scientific research. Each discovery includes a video by a scientist describing their personal experience of the events leading to this discovery, a link to the corresponding research paper, as well as a series of multiple-choice and open-ended questions (and suggested answers) designed to encourage critical thinking and data analysis.

Shannon Clegg Shannon Clegg 95 Points

I love to start the year in high school Biology with this activity. http://schoolpartnership.wustl.edu/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/National-Academies-Inquiry-Lab.pdf Thanks, Shannon

Cris DeWolf Cris DeWolf 11965 Points

We use this activity. It's great! Thanks for sharing.

Shannon Clegg Shannon Clegg 95 Points

no problem. I am new to the NSTA Learning Center, any tips/tricks?

Yetzul Flores Werner Yetzul Flores Werner 1190 Points

I try a lab introduction as an icebreaker called saving Sam. It gets students started thinking about science inquiry and lets me see what they know about the scientific method. It helps students get to know each other.saving Sam lab

Romina Krause Romina Krause 3820 Points

I love ice breakers! I feel that it helps the students so much on getting more comfortable with the classroom and their peers! Here is a PDF on some ice breakers and team building activities!! Enjoy :) http://www.mybookezzz.org/ebook.php?u=aHR0cDovL3d3dy53YXJ0YnVyZy5lZHUvb3Jncy9ndWlkZS9pY2VicmVha2Vycy5wZGYKSWNlYnJlYWtlcnMgJmFtcDsgVGVhbWJ1aWxkaW5n

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers