Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Teaching About the Concept of Space and Solar System in K-2

Elementary Science

Teaching About the Concept of Space and Solar System in K-2

Author Post
Ashley Mancuso Ashley Mancuso 2310 Points

Hello, I was just curious to what people make of this. While completing the Solar System SciPack, I happened to noticed in the Pedagogical Implication section, it mentions how students in grades K-2 would have trouble grasping the concept of the solar system, and our planet being a round ball in space. So the only standard to be learned in these grades in relation to the solar system is magnification, which in turn leads to talks about telescopes. I just thought it was strange that students in 1st and 2nd grade would have issues understanding the concept of space, and planet. In the 1st grade classroom in which I am interning, I feel like many of the students would not only understand the basic gist of the solar system, but would already know information about it. I think I may take this question to the classroom and survey students to see if my thinking is correct. I was just wondering if anyone has experience or thoughts about this.

David Robinson David Robinson 2110 Points

Hi Ashley, I think that is interesting as well. I don't have too much classroom experience with that, but I know that when my oldest son was about two and a half, he started asking questions like "Why is it cold outside?". This led into us talking about the seasons and that led to more questions about the Earth and the sun. Over the next couple of years he has learned about our place in space. I don't think first or second grade is too early to discuss the solar system or at least that Earth rotates around the sun. In looking at the State Curriculum, I noticed that in second grade one of the standards is understanding observable patterns in the sky with the sun, the Earth and the moon. I think introducing seasonal changes and the causes of those changes, would be a good place to start talking about the solar system. I would love to hear what your first grade class thought about your question. Thanks.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers