Forums

Forums / STEM / "Integrating Technology"

STEM

"Integrating Technology"

Author Post
Amarria Harper Amarria Harper 2345 Points

As a science teacher, the only element of STEM that I struggle with is technology. How do you all intergrate it with your lessons? I want my students to enjoy all aspects of science. I have already gain interest of those who did not like it at the beginning of the year. Now I just have to entertain their interests.

Ruthie Brown Ruthie Brown 835 Points

Hi Amarria,

As a graduate student seeking to earn my certification in Early Childhood Education, I want to say that technology has the power to transform students learning.  Technology is a powerful tool that can enhance the strategies and skills students use in the classroom every day. Integrating technology prepares students for the ever-advancing digital world.  Technology is important for the development of students reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills. Our students live in an age now when technology is at their immediate disposal. Students should be able to locate, organize, understand, evaluate, and analyze information using digital technology. Technology skills are important, for our students to become critical readers, writers, and presenters of a wide range of ideas.  Google Docs, video or movies, slide presentation software, chrome books, tablets, and flip grid.  Education is so much fun to me and not a struggle!

Kristin Preast Kristin Preast 1670 Points

Technology is a great tool when you want to learn something and it can be used to change thoughts. I would tell them that see how easily they can look up stuff or watch something they want to. In the past, you used to not be able to do that. You had to go to a book for information or set up films for movies. I would tell them stuff like that to show them how much easier this technology has gotten to be.

Ruthie Brown Ruthie Brown 835 Points

Thanks for the tip!

Elyse Juarez Elyse Juarez 725 Points

Technology is a great source in the education world! I feel that it is used a lot more commonly than before. I am a third-year college student, and I remember when I was in elementary school, we would have something known as a computer lab. In middle school & high school, there was no such thing as a computer lab. Everyone recieves their own chromebooks now for better learning, even at home. Technology is very useful. I would encourage to tell your students that there's interesting & neat things you can learn about on the web. Also, maybe introduce some learning games as well, that can always be fun. I hope this helps!

Anna Orr Anna Orr 200 Points

Using technology as a source in the classroom is very useful! You can find new ways to teach your students and get them involoved. I would encourge you to do research on technolgy that can be used in the classroom!

Patricia Leazier Patricia Leazier 4502 Points

Don't forget you can included virtual activities to introduce or supplement STEM lessons and activities.  This is a great virtual resource to use for STEM activities. PhET Interactive Simulations

Here is a website that is devoted to virtual STEM activities. Online STEM Resources and Activities for Teens

NASA always has a strong STEM alignment.  Explore STEM with NASA 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers