Forums

Forums / STEM / STEM in my classroom

STEM

STEM in my classroom

Author Post
Maria Morales Maria Morales 480 Points

Greetings! I am in ST1 and placed in a Kindergarten grade level. I have wondered about the apropriate methods of implementing STEM for Kindergarteners. It is my understanding that students in Elementary grades levels will find STEM engaging when it appeals to their prior knowledge. Sometimes finding topics that connects the students to real-world situations can be a start to introducing them to simple fun concepts that will engage them to want to explore and investigate further (e.g., ice melting, floating objects, magnetic testing, etc.) However, some learning activities if not taught appropriately can end up counterproductive. While searching for fun STEM activities to implement in the curriculum, we should consider the 5E’s (i.e., Engage, Explore, Explain, Elaborate and Evaluate) to support and assess their learning.

Emily Faulconer Emily Faulconer 5755 Points

Here are some activities: https://www.education.com/activity/kindergarten/science/ 

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

If kindergarten is your main area, you might consider purchasing- Picture Perfect Science series through NSTA. The books are literature based K-5 (maybe even higher grades) and they include lessons, ways to connect the concepts, and STEM challenges. I love using them. You can also search https://ngss.nsta.org/

for specific content and specific grade level. The resources included are vetted by NSTA and give detailed information about 3 dimensional attributes of each lesson.

Maria Morales Maria Morales 480 Points

Hello, I am thankful for your suggestion. I going to look into it.

Kae Eli Kafar Elias 1340 Points

I appreciate this advice.  The 5 E method for me has been one of the best methods that I have used to implement STEM.  It organizes and aligns a lesson in a concise way.  Students are able to get familiar with a topic using the generation of curiosity to drive student's learning.  I find that regardless of grade level, the 5E method can be very effective and should be recommended as a method.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers