Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Summative Assessment

New Teachers

Summative Assessment

Author Post
Aubrey Fortuno Aubrey Fortuno 1060 Points

Aloha,

I'm curious about the different types of summative assessment you all have experience with, have seen in the field, etc. I'm currently a pre-service teacher in a progressive school that does not give unit/chapter tests, so I'd like to know what else is available to assess student learning in an engaging way, but also honors that every child is at a different place developmentally. Feel free to provide different examples, talk about an experience, what you and your students got out of it, etc. 

Mahalo.

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

Hi Aubrey,

I teach middle school 7th and 8th grade. I use science journals/notebooks and if I wait until we complete a unit, I would not be able to address misconceptions. I use driving questions that spiral back to the unit phenomena that we are working on. I have each group or sometimes each student, write their own questions on sticky notes. As a class, we choose the questions that align with the unit phenomena. Students know that some of those questions will be used for summative assessment. As we go through investigations and experiments, we go back and determine if we found the answers. I then give an assessment with performance tasks using data we have compiled and the students' questions. I remind them that I am looking for their claims based on evidence, and reasoning. 

Kellie Burgess Kellie Burgess 930 Points

Hello Aubrey! I am a preservice teacher as well. Recently in my education class we discussed assesment and finding unique but adequate ways to assess students' growth while keeping in mind student needs. I thought I would share a few ideas from my class to get the ball rolling for you! One of the ways to assess students is through group discussion. Give your students the opportunity to verbally answer a prompt. Keep note of what the students say and if they are contributing to the conversation. As a facilitator, you can encourage students who have not spoken yet to contribute and ask additional questions. Another way to assess students (that is also fantastic for ELL and non verbal special needs students) is to have your students draw a picture of what they have learned. For example, if you were teaching second grade students about the ocean, they could draw an image showing all of the sea life that you have discussed. Another way that you can assess students is by allowing them to apply their knowledge to a project. The students can create a powerpoint, art project, play, or song that contains correct material from the unit being assessed. This allows students to display their knowledge in a way that is fun and also condusive to their existing skills and abilities. Overall, teachers should be assessing at all times. Assessment can be as simple as walking your classroom and listening in on students thoughts. There are a lot of different ways to approach assesment, and it excites me to see that not every classroom will be depending on unit tests anymore. I recall as a young student struggling with tests but being more efficient at displaying my knowledge in other ways, and it makes me happy to know that modern students will be given the chance to show their knowledge in diverse modalities. I hope this helps you in your quest in finding more ways to assess students, and I wish you luck in your educational journey! 

Jonathan Vineyard Jonathan Vineyard 1330 Points

Hi everyone, I really appreciate the comments here. I'm working on my certificate right now and substituting - the work I'm left for subbing is sometimes tedious to some or all the students. I worry about making sure they stay focused on the things I need them to learn, and as a teacher, I want to make the whole process fun, or at least not disheartening in the way that so many STEM teachers have been. Involving the students in their assessment in all these different ways gives me plenty of ideas for providing students multiple ways to learn and demonstrate mastery. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers