Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Science Experiements

Elementary Science

Science Experiements

Author Post
Anahi Cerda Anahi Cerda 670 Points

A question I have when it comes to activities with students is would we need to get approval of any experiments we want to include in our lessons? For example, if we are teaching them about chemical reactions and I want to show them the mentos and coke experiment. Would I need to get permission to take the students outside or just clearance on conducting this experiment? 

Cheryl Adams Cheryl Adams 415 Points

I would encourage you to include a science safety contract with your back to school permission forms. Some school systems have a required one and others leave it up to you. You can find samples in some science vendors and some science curriculums have them.  I always had the parent and the student sign the contract. I kept a copy and had the students keep a copy in their science notebook for reference. Science Safety should occur every day. Check your state course of study for science. The state I teach in has a section devoted totally to scinece safety. Make yourself aware of what your state and local system requires. That should be your starting point. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers