Forums

Forums / Life Science / Animals in classrooms

Life Science

Animals in classrooms

Author Post
Cecilia Ruhlmann Cecilia Ruhlmann 4240 Points

I am a preservice teacher and I have heard many different teacher say they have a animal in the classroom. My question is how do you Tie a  Guinea pig to a life science unit?

I believe having some animals in the classroom will help the students understand how animals grow, reproduce, what they eat, etc. For example, they study the butterfly cycle, having larvas which soon will be pips and then butterflies. Students will experienced this process in person instead just watching pictures on a book or watching videos on a screen. Also, is something can teach them how to be a little bit more responsible. For example, having a fish tank as a teacher I will set roles for each student (feeding,cleaning, etc) and rote it. I believe having this animals in the classroom will help the kids to expand their knowledge and at the time of planning a new experiment will make them curios about new stuff they don't know about it.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers