Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Teaching Phenomena

New Teachers

Teaching Phenomena

Author Post
Ashalenia Graham Ashalenia Graham 985 Points

Hi! I am currently a senior in college and am learning about using phenomena in the classroom.  Has anyone used phenomena in classroom that would like to share any tips? I am struggling a bit to match phenomena with the NGSS standards. Any tips would be helpful! 

Erica Herold Erica Herold 735 Points

While I am in no way a phenomena expert, I think an easier way to think of is is beginning with the phenomena then matching the standards instead of starting with the standard.

For example, my 7th Grade students are currently investigating why some bee species are in decline in California. From there, I can attach related standards: food webs, photosynthesis, interconnected nature of ecosystems, human impact within ecosystems, etc. We're able to learn about those standards though the lense of learning about bee populations. 

In the past, I've taught these same standards through having students research the Amazon Rainforest. I am lucky to work in a school that allows me autonomy to build my own curriculum, so normally the phenomena align with my current interests and what I want to learn more about. 

Hope this helps!

Ashalenia Graham Ashalenia Graham 985 Points

Thank you, Erica! This did help me with my approach!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers