Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Preservice Teacher Advice

New Teachers

Preservice Teacher Advice

Author Post
Chloe Nanos Chloe Nanos 220 Points

Hi! I am a preservice teacher looking for any ideas or advice on planning lessons and lesson materials. I am passionate about dinosaurs, and I would love to teach a lesson about dinosaurs to my first grade class. Does anyone have any lesson plans they have used on this subject before? Or possibly a children's book (nonfiction) that they have used to guide the lesson. Thank you so much for all of your help!

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

Chloe, I went to Explore All Resources and did a search filtered by elementary, lesson plans, dinosaurs and there is a lot of material there. Unless someone else shares something that appeals to you, you could look around there and see what you find. Remember to save what you like in your library! http://common.nsta.org/search/default.aspx?action=browse&text=dinosaurs&price=&type=lessonplans&subject=&topic=0&gradelevel=Elementary%20School&sort=1&page=0&dep=&coll=&author=

Ruth Hutson Ruth Hutson 64325 Points

Hi Chloe,

Dinosaurs are a great way to get your first graders excited about science. A quick search of the Learning Center shows that there are so many choices. I limited my search by applying the elementary school filter and then journal articles. There are several NSTA journal articles that you might find of use with your students.

The Early Years: If You Were a Dinosaur allows you to work on some co-curricular skills while teaching about dinosaur. It is a great way to encourage your students' writing.

You might get some hands-on ideas from Primary Paleontologists: Students 'dig in' to excavate buried 'fossils.' The author describes how she built a simulated dig for her second grade class.

Another one that caught my eye was Dinocenters. This is another co-curricular unit in which some kindergarten teachers used dinosaurs as an unifying theme for their math, writing, literature, and science centers.

To view these resources, you can select the link in this post. Then save the resources to your library to read them. Enjoy and best of luck in developing your unit!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers