Forums

Forums / Life Science / Food Safety & Bacteria for Lower Grades

Life Science

Food Safety & Bacteria for Lower Grades

Author Post
Lori Towata Lori Towata 2825 Points

I've been racking my brain trying to develop a connection between the Science of Food Safety SciPack and a lesson that would have direct associations with my third-graders. Unfortunately (or fortunately), my school recently experienced an E. Coli scare in receiving a shipment of ground beef from a local meat company that may have had possible contamination. Rest assured, we're safely out of the incubation period and my students and I are all well. I was wondering how I could educate my students about E.Coli and bacteria in foods in a grade-appropriate way. Any ideas?

Alicia Mochizuki Alicia Mochizuki 1470 Points

I found this website about E.coli and other bacterias: http://www.discoveryeducation.com/teachers/free-lesson-plans/nutrition-and-food-science.cfm The website is geared for 9-12 grade but I think you can still teach it to third graders. I personally would talk about what it is, how it is transmitted/spread, and preventive measures a person can take. Maybe as a lesson assessment: have the student draw a picture or write a description of the three C's: Clean, Cook, and Chill. As a bonus ask them to draw or write about: Separate. Maybe, the term "separate" can be discussed also in math. I feel it's very similar to sorting objects but maybe you could talk about separating/sorting meats from fruits. To make it relevant or make prior connections: discuss if they notice how the food they buy at the store is separated (e.g., how a bagger will bag certain items in a bag).

Lori Towata Lori Towata 2825 Points

Thanks, Alicia. Your assessment suggestions is concrete enough for my students to understand. Really appreciate the Web site shout-out.

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Hi Lori,
You might be interested in checking out Science and Food Safety SciGuide for K- 4th grades. There is a slight charge for the SciGuides, but there are so many great lessons in one place that are pedagogically and developmentally appropriate for younger children. Plus the Sci Guides have other resources included like interactive web games, songs, and activity books. They are like a 'one-stop-shop' resource for lesson planning on a specific concept. It can save you hours of prep time and provides resources you may never have found - like this cute game: Food Safety Wheel
Carolyn

Sandra Naihe Sandra Naihe 605 Points

I too did the food safety sci-pack. I tied it into a health lesson and used this lesson from http://www.dineforlife.org/resources/Elementary_School_Lessons_2011-2012/K-1/Food%20Safety%20k-1%202012-2013.pdf. I modified it and made it fit my specific standards for Jr. Kindergarten.

Saima Sadika Saima Sadika 645 Points

Food Safety and Bacteria is an interesting and helpful topic for young learners.

Saima Sadika Saima Sadika 645 Points

Food Safety and Bacteria is an interesting and helpful topic for young learners.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers