Forums

Forums / Rural Teachers / Resources at Rural Schools

Rural Teachers

Resources at Rural Schools

Author Post
Amy Efird Amy Efird 1820 Points

Hello, my name is Amy Efird. I’m a senior at Henderson State University in Arkadelphia, Arkansas. I would love to teach kindergarten and plan on teaching in my hometown of Mount Ida. My question pertains to the resources that are at most rural schools, and how they compare to most schools in bigger towns. Are the resources better or worse? Do they have different problems that they face compared to small rural schools? 

Cassidy Staudt Cassidy Staudt 1011 Points

Hi Amy, It can be harder in rural areas to get access to many new resources compared to some urban areas. I grew up in a rural school in the midwest and always thought that my school had relatively good resources. We had laptop carts for each elementary classroom, and in middle and high school we had MacBooks for each student. I do believe we got these technologies later than urban schools did and largely due to our school's financial situation. Not every rural school has the same financial situation, and neither does every urban school. Access to resources can be greatly influenced by the school's economic status rather than its location. I am an education major myself and have completed field experiences in rural and urban schools, and I think it is most important to know the economic status of the school you are going into and be mind full of that when planning.
- Cassidy Staudt Wartburg College

Landon Buckridge Landon Buckridge 695 Points

Hi Amy!

This truly is a great question and one that does not necessarily have an answer. The hard thing is that schools’ resources are dependent on a budget. This plays into how much people are paying into taxes that go to the school. I personally went to a rural school in the Midwest that had one to one Chromebooks and smartboards in every classroom. The books that we had for class were older but not out of date. I have been to a large community school and there was not a huge difference in the resources between the schools. The socioeconomic status plays a role in what gets bought for the school. One of the schools that I have field experience at does not have smartboards but they do have TVs in each room that work just as well to help students learn. I would look into a budget that the school has, and if you have any educator friends that are from a different district, compare the budget. You might find that you are able to get better material at a better price or you might have a cheaper option that you can also share with the aforementioned teacher.

A M A 660 Points

Hi Amy!

I am currently at Wartburg College and plan to teach in elementary as well. I have been doing field experience at a very small rural school. I think one of the best things the teacher does is get creative. These resources are not just going to come to you, you have to find them and make connections in those bigger cities around you. An example is that they have a small library in their school, but once a month plan to go to the larger public library in the bigger town nearby. She always routinely brings in the county conservationist to talk to the students about things relevant to their class topics. Since they are in a rural area, learning about crops, animals, and farms is much easier than technology or coding; things that might be easier in a larger city. This is a problem for those larger cities. They have a harder time getting students to understand farming and how our food gets to the table. Many rural students live on farms and have a strong understanding because of their background knowledge. To me, the resources are what you make them and how you choose them. Rural and urban students need to learn the same things; where they live shouldn’t change that. Both rural and urban schools have many differences, but either way you will need to get creative and work with the background knowledge they have coming in. I hope this helps and best of luck to you in the field! These are great questions to be asking! -Ann Meirick

Shelley Bronson Shelley Bronson 1110 Points

Hi, Ann I agree with you we have to use what we have available and make connections with the community and non-profit organizations. There are many willing to help improve education in any way possible. My previous school would receive help from their local churches and businesses. This was my first time experiencing soemthing like this before but in our time of need they would provide. Whether it be water bottles, ear buds, hand sanitizer and tissues just to name a few items. Also, during storms shelter and food was provided to families in need. Some parents send extra supplies for students who are unfortunate. 

Yes!!! the best way to connect to children is to what they like and do the most, what interests them. Connecting with students culturally and their community is the best way.

This August I'll be starting my teacher residency in a rural school district. I'm not sure what resources the school has or use so this will be interesting on what resources the school us

Ibrakhim Ibragimov Ibrakhim Ibragimov 10 Points

thanks for sharing

virtual phone

Madyson Harris Madyson Harris 385 Points

These posts have been beyond helpful being that I am currently residing at an Rural Area school. Resources are very limited and they are scarce. In order to get what we need we muset partner with the surrounding communties and local leaders. By parterning with the local commuities it gives the schools that extra boost that they need from the community. These are ways in which we can make this happen for our children. A pattern that I am noticing is that the students who are in rural area schools are no where near as optomistic about learning with technology than children in urban area schools. In the bugger cities technology is everywhere including the home. While in most rural areas, the most technology that the students see is when they are at school. We have quite a set back because the reality of it is that the rural area schools are quite behind when it comes to resources. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers