Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Changing Career Paths

New Teachers

Changing Career Paths

Author Post
Mary Davis Mary Davis 1985 Points

Hi! I am in my first semester of graduate school (K-5 Curriculum and Instruction) and I currently hold a B.S. in Psychology. With much thought I changed  directions in my 30s and decided to approach education which was something always in the back of my mind. For those who may have ventured from other fields besides education, did you find a having different discipline/career background to be helpful or a hindrance or perhaps both? Were you able to utilize and integrate knowledge from your previous career choices into teaching?

I, too, came to teaching in my 30's from different career paths and interests.  You will find that all that life has brought to you so far will greatly benefit you as an educator.  You'll find a multitude of ways to use your previous career experiences.  Whether it's teaching an after-school ballet class or starting a hiking club during lunch/recess, your background will uniquely influence the school environment.  I believe that career changers often make the most reflective and inspirational teachers.  With that said, I do also appreciate all my straight-line career path educators - they bring steadiness and security of choice to the profession.   

Enjoy your decision to work with young learners.  Your psychology background will be beneficial as well.  

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers