Forums

Forums / Pre-service Teachers / Being Caught Off-Guard

Pre-service Teachers

Being Caught Off-Guard

Author Post
Whitney Lynch Whitney Lynch 375 Points

Hi! My name's Whitney Lynch and I'm a junior at Francis Marion University! I've been in a classroom for field experience and I realized that I freeze up when students say something unexpected, whether it's a question I don't know the answer to or something totally random. I can't think of anything to say for a solid 5 seconds. I was wondering if anyone else does this, and if so if they have any tips on how to stop? Or is it one of those 'you get better with time/practice' things? 

Olivia Jeffcoat Olivia Jeffcoat 115 Points

Hi Whitney! I totally know exactly what you mean! There has been many times in my field experience where I just want to say 'Huh?' haha! One piece of advice that I could give you would be to asked them to say the question again. This gives you time to come up with an answer. It seems unprofessional but that extra few seconds will give you time to think of an answer without being completely random. I also thing it could be a getting better with time type thing. My CT has been asled some crazy questions and some you just have to ignore. I will come back to this post to see if anyone else has better advice!!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers