Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Making Science Fun

Elementary Science

Making Science Fun

Author Post
Clarissa Benavidez Clarissa Benavidez 195 Points

Hi there, 

As I am nearing my completion of bilingual childhood education, what are some ideas and tips you have to make the classroom fun and exciting for science? What new methods can be used?

Jacquelyn Trevino Jacquelyn Trevino 260 Points

Hello!

I recommend using hands on activities that will provide a great interest to the students. Implementing technology in the classroom can be helpful such as showing videos or providing virtual activities. Most districts provide tablets for the students to work with for learning.

Goodluck!

Alexis Shelley Alexis Shelley 180 Points

Hello Clarissa,

I am also still a student studying elementary education.  I have always found that children have more fun with science when the science is hands on.  Any hands on activity will get them engaged and excited to learn!  I hope you find this helpful.

-Alexis

Derrick Lietz Derrick Lietz 438 Points

Hi Clarissa,

Some methods I would use would be allowing the students to guide where the science topics go. For instance, create lessons based on their inquiry and somehow relate it back to the standards.

I would also try to create a 'science environment.' Create roles for each experiment with names that relate to the topic (animal lesson: animal behaviorist, zoologist ... building project: architect, engineer). Through creating roles, students can learn how the topic is applicable to real life and may learn about different jobs in STEM.

Good luck!

- Derrick

Elizabeth Pat ELIZABETH PAT 275 Points

Hello Clarissa! I suggest  you use hands on activities and visuals to engage students. Pinterest  can be a good source to connect activities to science principles. Good luck!

Gilberto Garcia Gilberto Garcia 1115 Points

Students will learn new concepts when they are using their senses (hands on). In science there multiple opportunities for explaration and observation. Bring the outside world into the classroom with investigations and take students outside to wonder about the world of science. Yes, safety comes first!!!

Andy Tran Andy Tran 440 Points

Hi Clarissa! 

Some tips I have for you is to have some visual displays for your students. I'm not sure what grade you're teaching exactly, but objects like a globe, skeleton, periodic table of elements, plants, and etc. can help students visualize the concepts you're teaching! Moreover, what has really worked for me in my experience teaching environmental science was creating a 'storyline' or 'problem' that the students could focus on while they learned about a new concept. For example, when I used to teach about the human impact on Earth, I would tell a story about a farmer who tried many different solutions to get rid of the rats on his farm, until he finally decides that having a pet owl has the least negative impact on the environment and is the most efficient solution. So, while this method is not necessarily new, I think incorporating more storytelling into your science lessons may engage your students well! 

I hope this helps you!

Good luck! 

Cynthia Ruiz Cynthia Ruiz 495 Points

Hi Clarissa, 

I think that the students will benefit for visuals in the classroom.  You can use mafnifying glasses and microscopes.  You can check the internet to see if they have parts of the body for example, heart or lungs.  It would be great to have poster if you cannot find the parts of the body.  You can fun with science when the students are involved and you can teach topics that the students are interested in learning.  The internet may have some science activities that are fun and easy to do with your students.

Good Luck

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers