Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Combining Science with Art

Early Childhood

Combining Science with Art

Author Post
Sheila Falgout Sheila Falgout 900 Points

I have been asked to create some lessons for various elementary grade levels that are science based but with an art element. I have found some ideas and am using the science standards as starting point to create others. Has anyone found or made lessons like this?

Stacey Rutledge Stacey Rutledge 1280 Points

My favorite lesson i have found so far that combines art and science would be the life cycle of a flower. After the students have finished their lesson about the life cycle, the students created a flower with six petals and labeled each petal with a different stage. The students were given a stencil for their petals and were asked to trace and then cut them out. The students were to label each petal correctly, and paste them on the center piece of the flower. It is a fun and interactive lesson for the students.

Laura Rodriguez Laura Rodriguez 2850 Points

You can explore gravity through art!!!!! i found a great activity that maybe you would like to use!! http://fun-a-day.com/preschool-art-with-watercolors/ it's a simple yet fun activity where the kids get to splash paint on to the paper by dropping a pompom covered in paint from a small step stool. they get to observe what happens and how gravity forces the pompom to the floor and the effect it has through the colorful paint. hope this helps :)

Lingling Xing Lingling Xing 1240 Points

I have seen a teacher teach sound, light, and heat energy. The students write down items for each type of energy, and then they draw a robot that can use these things.

Vanessa Cerrato Vanessa Cerrato 800 Points

Integrating the life cycle of an apple with science is very creative. I let students study an apple and in their science journal they had draw the apple and label each part.

Martha Hernandez Martha Hernandez 760 Points

One of the activities I have observed being done in science that has art in it is the butterfly cycle. Having students order the process of the butterfly cycle in a little booklet can help them understand the concept and using art by coloring the pictures and making the booklet. I hope this helps.

Sarah Benton Feitlinger Sarah Benton 1775 Points

Hi Sheila- There are so many ways to engage young students in science and art. I'm sure you've come across some of these already, but here are some I have done: -Grow Crystal Snowflakes on pipe cleaners in a Borax solution -Felt-tip marker chromatography on coffee filters -Balancing butterflies or birds http://ideas4kids.org/activity/balancingbutterflies -"Rain drop painting" allow the rain to fall on black paper for a temporary image (I did this today!) -Bubble painting http://www.education.com/activity/article/soap_bubble_prints/ (definitely practice this first, they come out great...but it can take some finesse) I'm sure I have more, but this is what I can think of off the top of my head. Good luck! -Sarah www.shareitscience.com

Blanca Jackson Blanca Jackson 3490 Points

I visited the website and I loved it. my cooperating teacher did a lesson last week on cycle of butterflies. the lesson was fun and the children were having fun making a paper butterfly. I love butterflies.

My cooperating teacher was looking for a fun activity for her kindergarten science class. I will share the website with her. I found that when children blow lots of bubbles this helps with all sorts of muscles in the mouth for speech development for forming words and articulation. It also helps with muscle coordination and eye/hand coordination in young children

Christine Frewin Christine Frewin 1615 Points

Thank you for sharing, I will definitely check these out!

Lolita Benitez Lolita Benitez 1580 Points

Hey there, I found this website that might be helpful. http://www.teachhub.com/integrate-science-across-curriculum Good Luck!

Hi Lotita that it is an awesome article. will at it to my library collection. It has a lot of important information. I like poetry and science topic. Teaching Science with English / Language Arts that one is a must for me.

Estee Gutierrez Estee Gutierrez 1450 Points

Hi, There are many science and art related activities that can be done. I have a kindergarten classroom and my favorite one is when we learn about spiders and they have to each create a spider out of paper. I take a sentence strip and on it, after my interactive lesson, the students write their favorite fact they learned. They add the eight legs and then I staple it together to make a hat. The children enjoyed it and learned at the same time. There are many other things that can be done. I found this webpage and I use it all the time for ideas, hopefully it helps you! Good luck. http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=science%20art&term_meta%5B%5D=science%7Ctyped&term_meta%5B%5D=art%7Ctyped

Integrating art with other subjects allows students to use different approach to express ideas and also reach different learning styles. I am a student teacher, I have seeing my cooperating teacher have the students draw at least five to minutes every day before class start. I think this is a good way to start the day. I am always amazed with the beautiful pictures kindergarten draw.

Serena Dhukka Serena Dhukka 1630 Points

Seasons is a great way to integrate art with science. Students can create a piece of art that represents the different seasons. Hope this helps!

Erin Williams Erin Williams 985 Points

Along the same vein of using seasons with the students, you could talk about the cycles that trees go through during the different seasons and have students draw pictures of trees or leaves during the different seasons. This is just an idea but I think it would be a really interesting way to connect science with art.

Emily Pierson Emily Pierson 1370 Points

I think that using seasons is a great way to integrate art with science. Students learn about seasons really early on in their education and they would be able to relate to seeing the many seasons. Along with the seasons they could learn about temperatures as well and draw pictures describing the different temperatures seen throughout the year.

Y-La Nguyen Y-La Nguyen 600 Points

I taught a lesson about the seasons and yes, it is definitely a unit that could easily incorporate art! I had the students drawing their favorite season and they enjoyed it a lot. Their drawings showed me what they knew and understood about that particular season. I think incorporating art in the lessons also gets the students more engaged in the lesson.

Ruchi Sharma Ruchi Sharma 1290 Points

I did a lesson on living things and basic needs while integrating art. Here is a website that might be helpful too. Good luck! http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/top-teaching/2012/10/art-integration-easy-ideas-combining-science-and-art

Peggy Ashbrook Margaret Ashbrook 10953 Points

Marie Faust Evitt, author of Thinking BIG Learning BIG, has many photos on the Facebook page that show activities involving science concepts in art activities. https://www.facebook.com/thinkingBIGlearningBIG?ref=ts See her book at: http://www.amazon.com/Thinking-BIG-Learning-Connecting-Childhood/dp/0876590679/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1415985151&sr=1-1&keywords=thinking+big+learning+big

Micola Mitchell Micola Mitchell 975 Points

Teacherspayteachers.com Pintrest.com

Sibnish Ali Sibnish Ali 2570 Points

You can integrate art in numerous ways with science! Such as: having students create a model for any type of life cycle, on observations, about plants, and so. Art does not always have to be students drawing, you can also incorporate painting or a collage of some sort.

Thanks for replying. I am a student teacher tying to learn ways to get students engage. I am currently in a dual language kindergarten class and I am looking for ideas to make science lesson more engaging and fun for the kids.

Connie Davidson Connie Davidson 800 Points

Students explore and analyze various ecosystems, the student is expected to create an environment of their own choosing out of cardboard boxes and various art materials, allow the student to be creative and make decisions on their own

Chelsea Wessels Chelsea Wessels 1585 Points

Hello, I am very interested in integrating art as much as I can in my future classroom and this website https://www.teachervision.com/art/childrens-science-activities/52562.html seemed to a variety of activities that you could personalize to suite your lessons!

Emily Pierson Emily Pierson 1370 Points

Science is connected with describing and taking notes of what is seen through observations. I think that art can be integrated with many different types of lessons. Students are asked to write about what they see in their science experiments and to connect with those who enjoy drawing, the teacher could have the students also draw and label what they see in their experiments. For further art implementation, the students could recreate what they observed using more than just pencils, markers, and paper. They could use tissue paper, sticks, leaves, or any other kind of material laying around to create their art.

Vanessa Zach Vanessa Zach 2840 Points

Connecting art with science is a great idea because science is a topic that isn't favored by many students as it is. By connecting it to art and allowing the students to express themselves and their work through art, the students will be engaged. Websites: http://www.kinderart.com/across/index_science.shtml The students can learn about the life cycle of a butterfly and create the butterfly as they learn the different stages. The same can be done with the parts of a plant. The students can even connect a science topic to literacy by reading a book then create a representation of the topic of the book as their art piece,

Kaitlin Anderson Kaitlin Anderson 2290 Points

One art idea that i have seen incorporated with science is using food coloring to make rainbow toast. The students were learning about properties of matter and so the adding of color to the toast changed the color property and when they put the toast in the toaster it changed the texture from soft to rough. They were able to use their creativity and paint the rainbow onto the toast in whatever way they wanted to!

Denae Boston Denae Boston 1245 Points

I love the idea of incorporating art in science. My science teachers never did this for me when I was in school, but I am seeing it more and more now. I think it is great for the students because they will have fun while learning about science. I also think it will help them remember and understand the science concepts better since they are physically working with the concepts through art. Great ideas from everyone who has commented! If I find any others I will post them here also.

Roxana Gonzalez Roxana Gonzalez 1615 Points

Combining science and art can sometimes be very east because students are sometimes asked to sketch their observations. So finding ways to integrate art into the lesson can sometimes be easily done it just depends on what aspect of art your going to deal with.

Jenny Reyes Jenny Reyes 1315 Points

I am currently taking Art for Elementary at the University of Houston. We are always told that you can incorporate art into any academic subject. The students do not necessarily need to draw something in order to consider that as incorporating art. You can have the students create foldables, collages, incorporate painting, and anything else that requires students to use their creativity.

Nydia Alvarado Nydia Alvarado 715 Points

For my lesson plan on animal characteristics and more specifically, camouflage, i was able to integrate both science and art into one. I had the children read a book titled "How do Chameleons Change Color?" and then used the book as a reference to have the students create their own models/drawings of the chameleons. They also explored the benefits of camouflage and how these animals use it. 

Elizabeth Alarcon Elizabeth Alarcon 630 Points

I have actually been part of learning about art and science recently in my classes. One great idea was learning about the different parts of a flower but starting to draw it form inside out rather than outside to in. The students draw for inside out because it allows students to concentrate on the little parts and their functions rather. Another idea is having students go on a nature walk and after they can draw their favorite part of the walk and their own interpretation on it. They can also talk about the different aspects of the walk and everything that was in the walk that they saw. 

Stephanie Lobo Stephanie Lobo 435 Points

Hello! I stumbled across one of the articles names Finding the Science in Art by Collen Kelley, Alyce Jordan, and Catherine Roberts. This article is interesting and may give you some pointers! -Stephanie L.

Jessica Hill Jessica Hill 965 Points

http://www.learnplayimagine.com/2014/02/combining-art-and-science.html

This link has 20 different lessons that combine art and science!

Alyssa Baum Alyssa Baum 865 Points

I think that incorporating art into science is extremely important, especially since so many schools cannot afford to have a full-time art teacher. In one of my college courses, I created an art activity that also met a science standard. My lesson plan included teaching kindergarteners about the seasons of the year and, at the end of the lesson, using different art techniques to create what a tree would look like during that season. For the four different seasons, students could make a tree by finger painting, tissue paper and glue, colored pencils, and real leaves that have fallen from trees and glue. The different mediums would provide a variety of art techniques while teaching the science concepts of the seasons. I would suggest learning about one season each week and doing the art project on a Friday!

Alexis Hartzell Alexis Hartzell 2405 Points

In a classroom I was helping in, the students were studying leaves. Below is the link to one fun interactive lesson that the teacher did on the structure of a leaf. http://www.kcedventures.com/blog/art-and-science-of-leaf-rubbings-nature-activity There are so many fun activities that involve art that you can use with any science lesson! Just be creative and think outside the box :)

Zoxchilt Zuniga Zoxchilt Zuniga 805 Points

In the past I have done a science activity on Energy in motion by having students group up and giving each group a pie pan with three different colors of tempera paint in it and a lid. Students would then have a marble they would place in the middle and place the lid back on and shake away. That would be when we would discuss energy in motion and connect it with the activity. If you place a round small piece of paper in the middle of the pie pan before you place the paint, than the students can have a visual representation that you could place around the class as a post assessment.

Susan Nguyen Susan Nguyen 930 Points

The link below is from Scholastic and they have great projects for integrating art and science together! I usually refer to them first since they pair up with schools for most things that they do. You should check out this link!

http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/top-teaching/2012/10/art-integration-easy-ideas-combining-science-and-art

Lindy Davis Lindy Davis 815 Points

Integrating art with science is a great way to interest your students in their learning! Here is a fun experiment that addresses science and art concepts: http://buggyandbuddy.com/exploring-colors-with-baking-soda-and-vinegar/

Sarah Benton Feitlinger Sarah Benton 1775 Points

This is a great thread, I'm glad it's popped back up. I contributed some ideas above, but since then I wrote a blog post about a Family STEAM night at my school that includes the activities we did. All of them could be used as a regular art/science lesson. http://www.shareitscience.com/2015/06/childrens-steam-festival-family-steam.html Also, I just reviewed a new STEAM book on my blog this past week that has some awesome ideas for this. (Full disclosure, this was a blog post intended to help sell the book, but I genuinely recommend it, and there are links to other articles the authors wrote that have many free resources included at the bottom.) Have fun!

Grace Ann Burr Grace Ann Burr 855 Points

A couple things I thought of were to have your students make an animal of their own, either in 2D or 3D, and then they have to label the parts of their animal and give some information on it such as where it would live or what it would eat. And it definitely needs an original name. The other idea I have is for students to create a 3D ecosystem using a box. They are given a type of area (desert, tropical, frozen) and they have to put things in the box that would be found there like the animals and the types of vegetation.

Sarah Ramstrom Sarah Ramstrom 605 Points

When I was a TA for a 4th grade class we planted trees for Earth Day and then we had the children write a story accompanied by illustrations. The story had to be a time line of the process of tree growth with what they thought it would look like at each stage they described. After allowing the students to tell their stories we talked about the growth process of different types of trees and what they look like at each stage. The teacher of the class asked the art teacher to do a similar lesson with them in art so that they were integrating their science lesson into their art lesson. The art teacher had the students use scrap paper to make 4 different stages of their trees from their science story illustrations. The best part about the whole thing was that the art teacher was able to move around her lesson plans and was able to incorporate one of their objectives for 4th grade Art; which was symmetry. So the students had to make their trees symmetric but still make sure they some what resembled their science story illustrations.

Gabrielle Tyree Gabrielle Tyree 1555 Points

I am so glad that I found this thread! I would love to be able to integrate art into some of my future science lesson! Thank you so much for these resources.

Anna Suarez Anna Suarez 640 Points

I love this thread of messages! I can use so many ideas from teachers all over the country! My CT did a cycle of life of a butterfly with pasta, and we made it into a necklace

Ryan Alder Ryan Alder 765 Points

A few of the upper grades at my school recently constructed earth layer models to show the different layers of the core (crust, mantle, inner core, outer core) and were given some free reign in terms of art medium. For example, some students used the usual foam craft balls and markers, but we welcomed the use of clay, tissue paper, and anything eles they would like as long as they met the criteria. We got some very interesting and creative submissions!

Karmen Jones Karmen Jones 835 Points

My students were learning the moon phases and we created moons out of styrofoam balls and decorated them with characteristics known about the moon. We then turned off the lights in the classroom and I had a big spot light to represent the sun. They were able to see how the moon goes through waxing and waning phases. They absolutely loved this hands-on activity.

Kelly Thomas Kelly Thomas 890 Points

I love the idea of combining science and art! Connects with more learners!

Sariena Cheang Sariena Cheang 595 Points

I would do something with a stencil, shaving cream plus food coloring. You would also need a small cut out sheet of paper. The idea of the project is to mix the shaving cream and food coloring together. Then put the stencil over the foam and the paper. Then peel the paper off and it should teach the students about reflection.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers