Forums

Forums / Chemistry / Use of a Science Lab Room by Non-Science Teachers

Chemistry

Use of a Science Lab Room by Non-Science Teachers

Author Post
Cris DeWolf Cris DeWolf 11965 Points

We have a problem in our building that I would like an opinion on. We have an extra lab room that is shared within the department to do labs. We have a sign-up area on the whiteboard to schedule use. Prior to a lab we will prep the lab the day before, and oftentimes not tear-down the lab until the next day, depending on when our prep periods are. The problem is this, even though it is kept locked (we all have access to this room from within our classrooms) other teachers are unlocking the room and allowing students in the room to make up tests and work on projects - usually unsupervised. Isn't this a liability issue - especially when lab equipment and chemicals are out at the lab stations? Isn't it worse if teachers not specifically trained in lab safety are allowing students in the room? Thanks.

Michelle Bellinger Michelle Bellinger 9195 Points

I am actually looking to see what the experts have to say and will piggy-back my issue. We have science labs that are used by other disciplines, like computer science class and math classes. These students come into the labs and eat snacks and move equipment on the side counters so that their book bags are not on the floor. I have spoken to our administration with no success of anything changing. What would I need to do to relieve myself of any liability?

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Hi Cris and Michelle,
I would be very apprehensive about unauthorized AND authorized access to a lab set up with potentially dangerous chemicals readily available. Those teachers allowing students in to make up tests without an adult present are of course going to be hard put to justify why they allowed students to enter that room if it is meant to be kept locked unless a teacher is present. Among the laws that teachers should be concerned about are those that involve negligence or when teachers wanton and willfully place their students in harm's way. It sure sounds like those teachers who allow students in without direct supervision are 'playing with matches' in that lab. The FLINN website has a whole series of videos on science teachers and the law. It is very informative. Also, the NSTA has a science safety portal with many resources if you wish to delve into this deeper. I think you are not being too cautious in bringing this up. Why would we want to subject a student to a potentially dangerous situation? Why would we want to open ourselves up to potential liability? Accidents happen without providing blatant opportunities for students to get hurt. You are right to be concerned!

About having the lab available for untrained teachers in science lab procedures: Are your chemicals properly stored and in a locked prep room? That would make it more difficult for the lab to be potentially dangerous. OSHA is getting tougher. January 1st of this year, I believe, is when the Federal law took effect to require a Chemical Hygiene Officer for every school district. I would certainly find out who that person is in my district and leave a paper (or email) trail of my concerns. Insuring that all of our students and teachers are safe may require additional training or less access to parts of the school in order to keep everyone safe as they learn.
Carolyn

Michelle Bellinger Michelle Bellinger 9195 Points

I need to clarify as I realized I posted under the wrong classroom setting. The rooms are physics classrooms. While not as dangerous as a chemistry room, having other teachers use science classrooms is quite disruptive. I am off to check out the responses under the general science categories.

We could, of course, alleviate some of my concerns by not setting chemicals out ahead of time (even though the room is kept locked). But then we would be leaving the students unattended while going to the storeroom to bring them in.... Another major headache is vandalism. Some of the gas outlets in the lab have had things jammed into them and broken off, rendering them useless. Nozzles on the water taps have been removed and put....??? (Can't find them).

Jennifer Rahn Jennifer Rahn 67955 Points

I would also be reluctant to allow use of a laboratory space that is unsupervised. Even if the lab is being used by a single student to take a test, the probability that it could remain open after the student is finished is high, even with the best intentions of administration. I have seen students run all sorts of things down the drains in wet labs, resulting in expensive plumbing bills, which may impact administration's decision. And we all know the attraction of meter sticks to use as words, and all the potential for other broken (read: potentially dangerous) items. The liability alone should give the administrators pause, in my opinion.

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

I am not sure I can add anything here other than to reinforce Jennifer and Michelle. This is a very bad idea and cause for concern

Rebecca Falin Rebecca Falin 71530 Points

I would just have to echo your concerns. I think its a very bad idea to leave (K-12) students unsupervised in a classroom for anything but a short length of time, but in a laboratory room it can be downright dangerous.

Tori Popoloski Tori Popoloski 1500 Points

:) Awesome ideas

Tori Popoloski Tori Popoloski 1500 Points

(: AWESOME IDEAS

Thank you for all your input.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers