Forums

Forums / Earth and Space Science / All dry on water ideas!

Earth and Space Science

All dry on water ideas!

Author Post
Sheila Falgout Sheila Falgout 900 Points

I am teaching a water unit with 1st graders and am looking for some good ideas for hands-on activites. Would appreciate fresh ideas!

Mariana Lara Mariana Lara 335 Points

If you're talking about the water cycle there's a kicky little song to help them remember.

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

I am sharing a collection with you that has several nice ideas for the water cycle. Good luck. There are five resources in it.

Water Cycle Teaching Ideas Collection (5 items)
Tori Popoloski Tori Popoloski 1500 Points

This was a great one to look at and prepare for students! After looking and reading these personal comments I will be sure to try it in my future classroom

Jennifer Rahn Jennifer Rahn 67955 Points

If they are interested in water quality (a really big deal in the Midwest surrounding the Great Lakes, you might have them think about the processes used to remove impurities. I have them build filters. They design the filtration system, then test them to see how much of each target impurity is removed, including color, turbidity, and perhaps nitrates / phosphates. Most can be measured with a simple aquarium testing kit.

This may give you a place to start - may be a bit above grade level, but could be modified pretty easily.

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas/EnvEng_p030.shtml#summary

Carmen Cruz Carmen Cruz 2125 Points

Water filtration-charcoal is your friend!

Carmen Cruz Carmen Cruz 2125 Points

Water filtration-charcoal is your friend!

Jennifer Rahn Jennifer Rahn 67955 Points

I would like to add - activated charcoal. The stuff you grill with in the summer will not accomplish the same thing.

I would suggest to simply let them play with water and to explore the sensation of liquid, solid and gas. I was told yesterday by an UNESCO representative for the International Hydrology Project that the United Nations is studying making a difference between potable water and water for life, being the later the water that has the essential elements to sustain life; potable water not necessarily has them. Anyways, let the kids explore the properties of odorless, colorless and tasteless, then let them compare with dirty water and ask them to describe the difference. At the CBC in the early years of elementary kinder, 1st and 2nd we promote senses stimuli. Hope that this ideas work for you. My best regards,Juan Felipe Restrepo Mesa. Colegio Británico de Cartagena, Cartagena Colombia South America.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers