Forums

Next Generation Science Standards

Fossils Resources

Author Post
Raymond Jones Raymond Jones 740 Points

I am a Third grade teacher. I want to know of some resources that can support my fossils unit. In particularly, I want to inquire about resources that provide a visual of the changing Earth. I try to help students understand that the Earth was a much different place in long past. I have found resources on plants and animals but I need resources on the changing Earth. The science standard wants students to understand that paleontologist study fossils to learn about what earth used to look like. Thanks

Cori Coleman Cori Coleman 2685 Points

Go to the Learning Resource & Opportunities tab here and search the Science and Children Journal Articles for one called Layer-Cake Earth...it was so amazing!!!! I tweaked it a bit to use with 4th graders but it was well worth the baking! :)

Cori Coleman Cori Coleman 2685 Points

Try this website, too... http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/education/explotime.html

Cris DeWolf Cris DeWolf 11965 Points

Hello Raymond- I have identified a progression in the NGSS that may be helpful: 3-LS4-1 Analyze and interpret data from fossils to provide evidence of the organisms and the environments in which they lived long ago 4-ESS1-1. Identify evidence from patterns in rock formations and fossils in rock layers for changes in a landscape over time to support an explanation for changes in a landscape over time. MS-ESS2-3. Analyze and interpret data on the distribution of fossils and rocks, continental shapes, and seafloor structures to provide evidence of the past plate motions. For 4th grade, specifically, we are supposed to look for patterns (evidence) in rock formations and fossils that can be used to explain how landscapes have changed over time. For all of us in Michigan and the states surrounding the Michigan Basin this is fairly straightforward. Evidence of change from a shallow sea to what we see today can easily be found in our state stone - the Petoskey stone (a fossil coral) and the salt that is mined beneath Detroit. Evidence of change from glaciation during the last ice age can be seen in our Great Lakes and the glacial features (drumlins, kettle lakes, etc) found throughout the state. A great video that shows the changes over time in a (to some) humorous way is "The Rise and Fall of the Great Lakes". Other materials already shared (like Paleomap) that show positions of the continents over time shows that landscapes (and environments) change over time due to plate motions

Arielle Gutierrez Arielle Gutierrez 995 Points

Thanks for sharing the resources. They're very helpful!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers