Forums

Forums / Professional Learning / NSTA's Virtual Conference - Teaching Controversial Topics

Professional Learning

NSTA's Virtual Conference - Teaching Controversial Topics

Author Post
Mary Bigelow Mary Bigelow 10275 Points

Coming up is NSTA's virtual conference on March 3 - Teaching Controversial Topics in Science.  Learn more about the conference here.

What is it like to attend a 'virtual' conference, for those who have participated in one? How is it similar to or different from a traditional conference (other than travel issues)?

Mary B

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Hi Mary, I have had the opportunity to participate in several virtual conferences. The most amazing part of it is getting to hear firsthand from the experts on a topic. When I attended the solar eclipse one, I was blown away by all the great information that was shared. I was so well prepared to participate in the total eclipse in Carbondale this past August because of what I learned at the virtual conference. I also attended the Climate Virtual Conference where they had atmospheric scientists and meteorologists from NOAA (who actually study climate change) share their expertise. Then we had experienced educators share how to present engaging lessons to our students. Your brain leaves the day's conference filled to the brim with fresh new ideas. I love going to NSTA conferences like the one coming up in Atlanta, but it is a totally different experience. The virtual conferences are such a great value for the money. All those experts on one specific topic are gathered together for the day just for us! I am especially interested in the March 3rd virtual conference because I am looking forward to learning some new strategies for teaching controversial topics in science, AND the other emphasis, according to the overview, is about having a better understanding of the nature of science. Hope to see you there! Carolyn

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers