Forums

Forums / New Teachers / 2nd grade to high school

New Teachers

2nd grade to high school

Author Post
Nicole Ross Nicole Ross 365 Points

I am a first year teacher and was originally teaching second grade. But now, I have a position to work as an aide for high school students. Do you have any suggestions for how I can switch gears from working with 7-8 year olds to teenagers? I am nervous because I frequently pass for a teenager myself, and I want to establish an air of authority from day one. Do you have any suggestions on how I can to that? Any advice having to do with my teacher presence, classroom management, and implementing lesson plans in secondary education are welcome and appreciated.

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

The first impression students will get of you is your manner of dress. Be sure to dress very professionally and not like the kids. This way you will look mature to them. Your demeanor will also have an effect on them. Always be "adult like". You can loosen up later when the kids get to know you better and have learned to respect you. Good luck on this challenge.

Michael Nilles Michael Nilles 445 Points

I have a lot of experience in these situations. I was an elementary school aide (5th grade) for three years before starting my Master's program. During those years, I coached high school baseball...and, like you, I sometimes pass for a senior in high school. Talk about a long day! The best bit of advice I can give is that when I was with my high schoolers, I always maintained a professional attitude. Always remember that you are the "expert" in whatever role you are in. If you portray yourself in any other way, they will see you as a peer and walk all over you. Also, respect is a two-way road, if you give it to them, you will most certainly get it in return. Off the field, I loosen up and be my normal self with the guys. After the first week of getting to know Coach Mike vs. "Mike" Mike, they understand the difference and treat you accordingly in each situation. Hope this helps!

Naomi Beverly Naomi Beverly 19130 Points

Nicole-

One of the best resources is an 'oldie but goodie'--The First Days of School: How to Be an Effective Teacher by the Wongs. I love this book for the awesome info it has. They have plenty to say in this area.

Here's an article from the NEA entitled 'Establishing Authority in the Classroom'

Here's one more form the University of Texas called 'Developing Authority as a Teacher: How to Maintain Discipline'

I hope this helps!
All the best,

Naomi Beverly

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers