Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / Killer Smog - Industrial pollution and its affect on health

General Science and Teaching

Killer Smog - Industrial pollution and its affect on health

Author Post
Michelle Phillips Michelle Phillips 5930 Points

I have been looking at historical events in science history. Here is one from today.

I have added some resources from my collection including 2 NSTA Daily Do's - feel free to use and let me know what you think. 

In 1948, a killing smog blanketed the small town of Donora, near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA. The people of that working class community went to bed not knowing that a suffocating cloud of industrial gases would descend upon them during the night. The cloud, a poisonous mix of sulfur dioxide, carbon monoxide and metal dust, came from the smokestacks of the local zinc smelter where most of the town worked. Over the next five days, twenty residents died and half the town's population - 7000 people - were hospitalized over the next with difficulty breathing. The Donora tragedy shocked the nation and marked a turning point about industrial pollution and its effect on health.

https://todayinsci.com/

Air Quality Collection (5 items)

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers