Forums

Forums / STEM / STEM elementary: What resources do you have?

STEM

STEM elementary: What resources do you have?

Author Post
Briney Kerner Kerner Briney Kerner Kerner 4423 Points

Hello,

I am a senior at Henderson State University going for a BA in K-6 education.  I have heard that some schools do not implement or encourage STEM in science and some do not put much emphasis on science.  Does anyone have any research-based resources that a teacher could use to convince the school district that STEM works and should be used?  I am curious for future reference, just in case, the school I teach at does not do STEM.  Thank you in advance.

Micheal P Floyd Jr Micheal P Floyd Jr 75 Points

Welcome to the Real World, because Nation Wide School Districts promote Math and Science Stem, but behind closed doors it isn't accepted and any public complaint you make WILL result in your termination. A termination is the removal of your teaching Certificate Nation Wide. We accept everything we are told, without question, and "we like it" just the way it is given.

Jeffrey Gale Jeffrey Gale 14494 Points

Good evening, I am lucky enough to currently be at a school that does embrace it. However, at the first school that I worked at, they always had an excuse such as of not having funds, we don't have room, it is too high level for the student, etc. If they didn't have a problem with it, they would make one up. What I had to do with this is to sneak it into my science classroom in my lessons. When I did implement STEM in the science classroom, students loved it and the results were clear. Students grew and flourished in the classroom. Student problem-solving skills grew. This was especially true for my English language learners. I cannot offer a suggestion as if your school is going against it then you would have to find your own way. But, what I did was to utilize books such as Picture-Perfect STEM lesson, k-2 Using children's books to inspire STEM learning by Emily Morgan and Karen Ansberry. Also, look at almost any resource Page Keeley. These resouces helped me out a lot and the cost is extremely small. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers