Forums

Forums / Earth and Space Science / Just sharing

Earth and Space Science

Just sharing

Author Post
Randolph Florendo Randolph Florendo 110 Points

I am currently studying "Oceans effect on weather and Climate" and find the information very interesting. Living in Hawaii and surrounded by ocean, the material is very relevant and informative. I now can grasp and understand with more knowledge the effect of the ocean on our weather and climate. I am also able to actually listen to the weather report which seemed alien to me prior to reading the material and understand whats going on. Now, being a fisherman, if I can just find the information on ocean factors and fishes (tuna, mahimahi, marlin, etc).

Ken Liu Ken Liu 2000 Points

When teaching the topic of climate, I feel it is also important to include the subject of "climate change" and how human activities are drastically affecting the climate. It could be a contentious subject, and if the students are engaged, you can have wonderful debates.

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Hi Randolph,
You might find the Coral Reef Ecosystems SciGuide helpful. It contains lesson plans and lots of resources about Coral Reefs and their inhabitants (including fish, of course).
I also came across an article that has a great title. If you teach middle school, you might find it worth your time to read:
Ooey, Gooey, Fish Guts!
Oh, and NOAA - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - Ocean is an excellent resource.
Carolyn

Kehau Samuelu DonnaLynn Samuelu 3485 Points

HI all, Thank you for the great resources and suggestions. I just recently finished the same SciPack and was really amazed at how much I didn't know. Living in Hawaii I kind of took for granted our mild weather. I also have a better understanding of how hurricanes form and why knowing all of this matters. I like that there's already been mention of how human impact really can have an effect of climate change. I think that is the a great connection for even lower elementary to make. The way we live today will effect the kind of tomorrow we are given. Thank you, Donnalynn Samuelu

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers