Forums

Forums / Life Science / STEM Life Science

Life Science

STEM Life Science

Author Post
Stacia Brown Stacia Brown 560 Points

Our school is currently trying to become STEM certified. We are trying to creating and find STEM projects to teach in our classes. I have found many websites to help me, but non of them are for life science. Does anyone have an activity that would be considered STEM that involves life science?

Raymond Jones Raymond Jones 740 Points

I was thinking about the flow of energy in the energy pyramids. Well, 10 percent of energy is lost as the flow energy moves up the pyramid. Maybe, you can create a model that demonstrates this concept? I posted earlier of any ideas to make this idea come to life. When get a response, I will relay it you. Maybe you can tweek it and use the idea for a STEM project.

Raymond Jones Raymond Jones 740 Points

I know an organization called WAY coordinates some STEM seminars. If you can get in contact with that organization then it may be fruitful.

James Sharp James Sharp 28090 Points

There a a couple good web seminars in the archives about specific projects for STEM and life science.

Brenda Hornaday Brenda Hornaday 770 Points

Also, contact Smart Chick on teacherspayteachers for some great STEM activities. She is great about responding to emails.

Laud Gaba Laud Gaba 1090 Points

PBS has a few lessons on life science using a STEM approach. You can try that. http://www.pbslearningmedia.org/resource/tdc02.sci.life.colt.lp_stayalive/the-needs-of-living-things/

Patricia Rourke Patricia Rourke 45925 Points

Hi Stacia, I did a search in the Learning Center using the key words STEM life science and the search engine returned a whole host of wonderful resources that may serve your goals well. I will list a few of them here but I encourage you to do your own search and see what pops up that is of interest to you. 1. Interdependence of Life: Agents of Change in Ecosystems Grade Level: Elementary School, High School, Middle School Science Objects are two hour on-line interactive inquiry-based content modules that help teachers better understand the science content they teach. This Science Object is the fourth of four Science Objects in the Interdependence of Life SciPack. It explores agents of change in ecosystems 2. Science Object Flow of Matter and Energy in Ecosystems: Nothing Matters Without Energy Grade Level: Elementary School, High School, Middle School 3. Science Object Interdependence of Life: Population Balance in Biomes Grade Level: Elementary School, High School, Middle School 4. Science Object Nutrition: What Choices Lead to a Healthy Lifestyle? Grade Level: Elementary School, High School, Middle School AND MANY other Science Objects 5. Journal Article Science Shorts: Ecosystem in a Jar By: Craig R. Leager Grade Level: Elementary School 6. Journal Article Ecosystem Journalism By: Kathryn Mahlin and Amy Robertson Grade Level: Elementary School, Middle School 7. Journal Article Bring Classification to Life By: Kimberly K. Franklin Grade Level: Middle School Check out some of these resources and let us know what you think:} Thanks a bunch, ~patty

hmmm..this seems like a useful article, too A Growth Opportunity Journal Article Journal Article This 7th grade life science class is about to embark on the Plant Project as they collect leaves and flowers as a homework assignment and learn that the class will be held outside. The project can serve as a foundation for many other class topics—classification and keys, ecosystems, nutrient cycles, and patterns in nature

a potential STEM twist on bean plants Tried and True: Bean plants: A growth experience By: Donna West Grade Level: Middle School Tried and True: Bean plants: A growth experience By: Donna West Grade Level: Middle School To enhance a seventh-grade life science unit, the author had students grow bean plants in the classroom. Students were then able to observe roots, stems, leaves, flowers, and fruit up close as they learned about them. Students who held misconceptions prior to the activity had them corrected, learned about plant parts and growth during the plant unit, and observed firsthand how plants change as they grow

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers