Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Teaching Space Science?

Elementary Science

Teaching Space Science?

Author Post
Cara Campbell Cara Campbell 515 Points

Hi all, I am a pre-service elementary teacher, and I was wondering if any of you had fun, interactive ways to teach about the solar system? How can something so inconceivably large be put into perspective for elementary school students? 

Nicolette McWatters Nicolette Chetta 775 Points

Hi! I am also currently a preservice teacher and we recently did an activity in my university class over this. It might need to be adjusted so that it is age appropriate for your students but I thought it was a great way to show how far apart the planets are in our solar system.

Attachments

Summer Franco Summer Cortez 875 Points

The Pocket Solar System is a great way to discuss the solar system. I have also seen where toilet paper is used with small balls in place of the planets. The toilet paper is stretched down the hallway. This is a fun, cheap, and interactive way to give the students a perspective on the planets and solar system. There is also a video on YouTube called "The Biggest Stars in the Universe" by the Science Channel that is a great way for students to see just how big the planets are.

If you have a computer in your classroom, you can use NASA's Eyes on the Solar System to show all of the planets, moons, comets and asteroids in our solar system, as well as the NASA spacecraft that explore these worlds. http://eyes.nasa.gov It works on desktops and laptops, but not on mobile devices like iPads, cell phones, or chrome books. When you download Eyes on the Solar System, you also get Eyes on the Earth and Eyes on Exoplanets. All of the software is free. I hope this helps!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers