Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Science Queston

Elementary Science

Science Queston

Author Post
Destinee Lara Destinee Lara 645 Points

Hello, I wanted to know how to make science fun for children while also getting the lesson across as i teach? When i was younger science was always difficult for me to understand and wasnt as fun and as a future educator i believe that if the lesson is fun for the children they will have a better understanding of the concept.

Kassandra Lopez Kassandra Lopez 400 Points

Hello Destinee, I agree with you that the students are more likely to have a better unsderstanding of the concept if we make the lesson is more fun! Some ways that you can make science fun for children while getting the lesson across as you teach is by maybe incorporating some fun learning hands on activities that students can work together to explore with. For example, if you are teaching a lesson about magnets, one thing you can do for your students to make the lesson memorable for them is include actual magnets. If you are limited in magnets another thing you can do is devide your students into 3-4 groups and have each group have a couple of minutes with the magnets. One thing you can do to ensure that you fully go through your lesson is first have yourself show the students the magnets during the lesson to better help explain yourself, then afterwards they can explore with the magnets. Including actual magnets will help not ony visual learners, but will give your students the excitement and the willingness to want to learn more about the topic. 

Ashley Elizondo Ashley Elizondo 410 Points

Hi Destinee, it can be difficult for students to engage in science especially if they find the material difficult. There are many strategies one could use for the student to become interested and enjoy science and learning about science. One way is to ask questions that will allow students to discuss and participate. Another way would be to present students with science content that is age appropriate so the student can relate and make connections, this will allow the student to become motivated. There are also multiple learning styles that can be implemented in order to fill the needs of multiple students. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers